breeding my mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painthorselover

Reaction score
My mare is in with my stallion and we turned her loose with our donkey. Our donkey kept trying to <breed> her. Is she in heat???
default_wacko.png

We put her back in with Blazer(my stallion).

Just wondering?

default_saludando.gif

Do you WANT a mule???? If not, keep her apart from the donkey.

Yes, very possibly, she could be in heat. Your donkey could be more sensitive to the smell.

Is the donkey still young? Usually young males try to breed, but are actually "practicing" on the mares that will let him, even though they may not be in heat. Some mares will tolerate this, others won't. By the time my colts reach one year old , I have to separate them , as they drive the mares bananas! Maybe your stud "knows" she isn't in heat right now. Is she backing up to him and showing any other signs of heat?

Is the donkey still young? Usually young males try to breed, but are actually "practicing" on the mares that will let him, even though they may not be in heat. Some mares will tolerate this, others won't. By the time my colts reach one year old , I have to separate them , as they drive the mares bananas! Maybe your stud "knows" she isn't in heat right now. Is she backing up to him and showing any other signs of heat?

My donkey is not young but not old~ She acts like she is backing up to him but I can't really tell :9

I would suspect that your mare really isn't in heat and your stallion knows it. I don't know your donkey, but there are plenty of the boys that will try to breed even if the mare isn't in heat....or even if the mare isn't even a mare.

I have two 2 year old colts that are waiting for their vet appointment, and in the meantime they keep trying to breed each other. I can assure you that neither of them is actually in heat!

Hey, maybe your gal just has a "thing" for Long-ears!
default_wink.png
jk Best bet is she's not really in heat and your stud knows it, like everyone else has said..

Latest posts

Back