Quantcast

Breeding mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

SHANA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
1,993
Reaction score
15
Location
Quebec, Canada
Hi,

My mare lost her foal on friday. The vet that came friday put her on cordizone for 2 days and penicyllian for 4 days and said she needed to have a caslick as she had one before she foaled but it was cut open 3 weeks before she foaled. He said that I should not breed her her foal heat but wait until her next one. Anyway another vet said that my mare doesn't have any infection, doesn't show any soreness around vulva and that I could breed her on her foal heat without any problems. I am confused now. My mare is doing great, running and chases poor little Sky, my 6 month old mini filly out of the run in shed, we have 2 so not a big deal if they don't share. My stallion is going stir crazy in his little paddock. What do you suggest???
 

lyn_j

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
6,159
Reaction score
1
[SIZE=14pt]Personally I would wait. If the mare has a tipped vulva and needed a caslik suture to avoid infection and aborting the foal because of that infection.... I may think twice about breeding her at all unless she is a top horse that you need a foal from.[/SIZE]

Lyn
 

SHANA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
1,993
Reaction score
15
Location
Quebec, Canada
The mare never had any problems foaling before that I am aware of. She had a slight infection last year so was stitched up but didn't have a foal last year so wasn't due to that. She has had 8 foals, 5 colts and 3 fillies. Only her 2005 filly didn't survive as it was malpositioned. I bought her to breed and she has gorgeous foals. I have seen photos of 3 of them and the one she had friday was gorgeous. Anyway the vet that came friday is coming tommorow so will see what he has to say, though the other vet is a better horse vet and only deals in horses and rescue cases as well for SPCA. Just am confused.
 

sedeh

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,528
Reaction score
0
Location
Williams, OR
I personally would wait until the season after the foal heat to breed. Give her a chance to heal up and when she comes into her foal heat you can see if she has any abnormal discharge. Sounds like your vet gave you conflicting advise and I can see why you're confused. Good Luck. Sounds like she's a good breeding mare just had bad luck this year. So sorry for your loss too.
 

Latest posts

Top