Breeding Half Siblings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrminis

Reaction score
I have a 2009 filly that I am considering keeping back for future breeding stock... But the only stallion I currently own that would be small enough if I ever bred her would be her half brother - same dam, different sire. I know alot can change in the next 3-4 years and at that time I may have another stallion that would be suitable (size wise) for her... And I know of other stallions in the area (if they are still around) that would be in her size range. BUT disregarding all of that I am curious as to if anyone does breed half siblings together? Seems like I have heard of it and even seen it on some pedigrees... I have alot of time to decide on this matter so more of curiosity at this point.

Thanks!

Breeding closely related horses is called line breeding and it is customary to go up and down not sideways as that can be trouble. You must be very careful to cull religiously and not breed any two that double flaws when line breeding.

I agree with Lori's comment .

I have also heard the following statement from breeders "you can get really good or you can get really, really bad"

Personally I wouldn't take the chance as there are so many worries anyway with these little guys without trying something that is "iffy"
default_smile.png
but that's just me
default_biggrin.png

I, personally, have no problem breeding closely related horses as long as each indivdual is strong in characteristics the other may lack.

I bred a paternal brother and sister together last year, but the mare turned up open, so I can't say how that worked.

I did breed a mare who's dam is a paternal half sister to my stallion. The resulting filly this year is outstanding and I'm breeding the mare back the same way.

I would leave line-breeding to only the extremely knowledgable/experienced.

Well, we bred 1/2 sister and brother last year. Both have the same sire. We got a really nice, tiny filly with appy characteristics. She is already coloring out, and we are very happy with her conformation too! It worked out great for us. Big horse breeders do it all the time. I'm sure they get some that aren't so great too.

Pam

This can turn out really really good or really really bad or kind of in between. We had a mini rex show doe that was from a full brother/sister breeding. At the end of her show carer including Best in Show, we bred her. Usually what you breed is what you get in rabbits. Not in this case. She only raised 2 bunnies (different litters) and they were nothing like their mom. They were nothing like their dad. The second one we kept until it was a SR. It's quality never changed and it was POOR. With that being said and with what it costs to breed and foal out a horse of any size. I would not risk getting a very poor quality foal.

Thanks for all the opinions so far... That is what I was thinking -- either get something fantastic or take the chance and maybe get a very poor quality foal... I don't know that I am brave enough to take the chance but I have several years to decide what I want to do so no major hurry to get worried about it...

It's very commonly done in many domestic animals: horses, cats, dogs, etc. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but usually if both of them are very good individuals, it turns out fine from what I've seen.

I'm sure it can turn out not-so-good, but it seems to work well when done carefully and with a good deal of thought and knowledge behind it.

I'd be more inclined to breed paternal siblings, but there are those who breed full siblings to each other, so maternal siblings aren't out of the question either. I haven't seen it done as often, but that doesn't mean it isn't done.

Thing is--you want to use horses that are as fault-free as possible--and any weaknesses that they do show should be considered carefully before breeding. The weakness that one shows...does it seem likely that it came from the common parent? If so, you may be doubling up on the gene that caused that weakness. Even if both siblings don't show the same weakness, if that weakness came from the common parent the horse that doesn't show it may still have that particular gene to pass on and the resulting foal may very well exhibit the same weakness, possibly worse than what the parent shows. A slight weakness in one or both parents may become a serious fault in the resulting foal.

Line breeding can bring out and set the genes for good traits that the common ancestor has, but it has the same effect on any bad traits that the horse has.

Anyone that cannot judge their horses' conformation honestly and actually see the good and bad traits that the horses have probably should refrain from close linebreeding.

I have been line breeding my dogs for over 32 years. I have had some of the top dogs in the country.

I would not hesitate to line breed my horses to enhance what I like about that line. Yes, it will either be really really good, or really really bad. BUT.. If it is really really good, then you have produced a great future breeding horse.

I did two such breedings for this year. A half brother to a half sister and a dam to her son. They are under the cameras right now, so any day I will find out how well it worked. The sire has a beautiful head, body and a hip to die for. But he has a shorter neck. The dam and the half sister both have beautiful heads and long slim necks. The half sister has a weaker hip. I am hoping to retain his hip and body, plus get the long slim necks of the mares. Since all have really pretty heads, that should be a given.

UPDATE: I now have my first foal out of my line breeding A cremello colt.

DSC_0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back