breeding a young stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
I'm asking for a friend

am I correct that for AMHA & AMHR stallion has to turn 3 the year a foal is born

in order to register the foal. Or do I have my info wrong?

Thanks for the help

Lori

I *think* it's any age for AMHA but you have to take him perm with AMHR before you can register his foals. I used a 2 yr old boy this year but I'll take him perm before his foals are born/need to be reg.

For AMHR the stallion must turn 3 the year the foal is born in order for that foal to be registered.

However, that stallion does not have to be brought permanent in order to have the foal registered--as long as the stallion's papers are not expired you can register that foal any time during the stallion's 3 year old year. Robin--there was one or two years where the rule was the stallion had to be made permanent before the foal could be registered, but that was causing too many problems for people that wanted to show their foals & couldn't because the stallion's birthday came too late in the year. It was also a problem for people who bred with a young stallion and then sold him, and the new owner didn't make him permanent. So, the rule was amended to allow foals to be registered even if the sire (or dam) wasn't permanent yet, as long as the temporary papers are still valid. Once Dec. 31st arrives and those temporary papers expire, then any foals not yet registered cannot be registered until the parent is brought permanent.

Thanks Minimor! I didn't know they changed that
default_smile.png

I did not know that they had amended that as well. I am glad, I went through an ordeal trying to get a foal registered that the owners of the sire had not filed for his permanent.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back