Breeding a mare after foaling a dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lf a mare here has had 1 dwarf no way is she bred again...l would be afraid even with changing stallions she'd have another so wouldn't use them again. JMO

Uh Oh !! I spent all afternoon writing my e-mail to you and now I can't find it anywhere
default_no.gif
.Did you recieve an e-mail about "Bits"?

Carrie

Rabbit genetics and Horse genetics are completely different, as is the inheritance of colour in Rabbits and Horses.

Dwarfs are not confined to the tinies...there have been a number of instances on this Forum where "B" Minis have had dwarfs.

Dwarfs are also found in Friesians.

So , No, small Minis do not, automatically carry one Dwarf gene, nor is it desirable for them to do so.

It is more than possible to breed small horses without resort to Dwarfism of any kind whatsoever.

Like the others, I would not breed this mare, nor would I allow her to go with her papers unless you write firmly"NOT for Breeding" across them as I did with one mare I sold.

It is not "legal" but at least it makes a point!!!
default_wink.png

I am sorry but genetics are genetics no matter what animal. You just find out faster with rabbits. I never said dwarfs were confined to the tinies. But, aren't all of the foundation sires Dwarfs? I think that would put that dwarf gene out there in most miniature horses. Like it or not. Want to admit it or not.

Latest posts

Back