Breeders Please, opinion on Calf Manna?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, the mere mention of feeding Calf Manna to my horses was a major no no. Complete with 33 1/3 protein, this seemed to contain things that made my horses bonkers, plus made them gain a lot of weight, so Calf Manna went right out the window pretty quickly.

Now in the 21st century, keeping an open mind, I would love to hear if anyone is feeding Calf Manna to their pregnant mares.

Holly is on Purina Omelene, orchard grass hay, alfalfa hay.

Purina 12 12 free choice minerals.

Soaked beet pulp. (just a little cup)

NO GRASS

I do not want to founder her and I would love to know if the Calf Manna would benenfit her in your opinions.

I don't want to do "overkill" here either.

Also she is 34" so I want to know if they still give you that little box in the bag and the amount to feed her of this.

I think that Calf Manna is pretty good stuff, in general. I don't use it unless the horse is in terrible need. Reason: It makes them gassy and can give them colic. And I had a mare colic from Calf Manna once so I backed way off of it.

Nowadays I just feed more strategy, and alfalfa. Sometimes I add red cell.

Call me a dinosaur but I've been feeding it to my broodmares / foals for the 30 years I've been involved with breeding horses (full size and minis). I start it two weeks before foaling and continue it through the second month of nursing for the moms. I start foals on a wet mash made out of Calf Manna at about 3 weeks, then change over to dry, then start adding mare/foal feed to it as they show interest in eating more. I feed it to the foals in decreasing doses until shortly after they are weaned. I have never had a problem with it in either the mares, who maintain excellent weight while nursing, or the foals who show good gains. I have never, in my entire career of raising foals, had an episode of epiphysitis or OCD (knock on wood).

Calf Manna seems to fall into the same category as alfalfa -- it's either a beloved part of the overall dietary plan, or it's treated like poison. There are alternatives, of course, especially these days with all of the new high protein products on the market. I've been happy with Calf Manna for 30 years though; it's doubtful I will change what has worked for me over three decades unless somebody can give me a REALLY good reason!!!

Robin C

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used it on rescues in the past...starved horses often will make good gains then plateau 1 bag of calf manna seems to do the trick at breaking this plateau.....I fed to full sized horses at a rate of 1/2 to 3/4 a cup twice daily until I ran out.....not sure why it worked so well but it did
wink.gif

I've been taking care of/formulating feeding programs for various horses for the over-50 years I've owned and cared for them-I like Calf Manna, and would indeed use it if the occasion seemed to call for it. With a mini, I would be conservative in the amount, and in when/how long I fed it. Robin's program sounds pretty good to me....seems to me that on the occasions I've used it, since having minis, I was giving something like 1/4 of that little cardboard "cup", once, or perhaps twice, daily. I'd ask Robin C. how much she feeds....properly utilized, it *can*be 'just the thing' for those times of high nutritional requirement, like late gestation, and lactation, esp. the first 3 months of lactation-as well as the early months of foalhood, when both growth and nutritional needs are at their highest.

[SIZE=14pt]I have used it in starved horses but wouldnt recomend it for Holly who is in great shape. If it aint broke dont fix it....she will do fine on what she gets and so will her baby "Fetus". You know we are going to name it that dont you????
wink.gif
yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Lyn

I agree with Lyn. If it ain't broke don't fix it......However, if Holly gets pulled down by nursing the foal later on, then you might consider it.

MA

I have followed much the same protocol as Robin when feeding the minis I have cared for. On every farm I have worked on, Calf Manna has been a staple - for many years before I showed up! - we are talking about Thoroughbreds, Standardbreds, Warmbloods and Arabians - to name a few. A standard creep feed was always oats and Calf Manna.

I have never had a horse of any breed colic from it - or had any other problems with it... and through the years it has stayed a part of my equine nutritional programs...

ETA: Also good for those geeky youngsters who hit that awkward stage....

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Yes Lyn the baby's name is going to be "FETUS".......that's what I call her now too![/SIZE]

BRAVE LITTLE PRANCERS FETUS
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif

Count me among the dinosaurs, too. I use it anytime that I have a horse that needs extra nutrition or to gain weight. I have tried lots of other things, but it seems to always draw me back because it works the best for my program.

I have used it in the past on big horses if they need a little something extra.

That something extra normally landed me on the ground
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But the horses looked great
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back