Breeders, I need your advice/experience.............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't been on for awhile (busy with foaling ect) and I've missed many of the new babies so congrats to all!

I have a mare that is 9 yrs old this year. She has never been with a stallion before. I put her with my new guy in March, I have not seen her come in heat at all. Unless I missed it totally but my stallion is very verbal so I don't think I did. She hasn't had any of the signs of coming in at all. All my other mares have been coming in and I thought that it would help but not so far.

My questions are, should I give her more time?

Is there something the vet can give her to bring her in?

I haven't had her checked by the vet, thought I'd see what you guys might suggest first.

Thanks for any help.

I have a mare that has silent heats and is very hard to detect. But usually the stallion knows. Has she ever foaled before?? Dont give up hope. Patches just had her first foal at 9 years old
default_smile.png
I would maybe call your vet and discuss it on the phone. May is usually a really strong heat month for mares

I'm having more or less the same problem with my mare only she isn't in with my stallion, but she never seems to show heat at all and I have been teasing her every couple of days for a month!!! I'm very interested to see what others say.

No, this mare has never been exposed before.

She did have slightly soiled back legs, not much though but makes me wonder if she did come in and I just missed the whole thing.
default_wacko.png

With mares like that I find it easier to just leave them in with the stallion. Otherwise you miss the cycle and didnt even know. Good luck!

great...I TOO have a mare that since December when I got her has shown NO signs of heat...she is 3 years old and never been with a stallion....I have had her with my boy since April ...total snot kicking and not enjoying his advances...poor guy..although they do end up grazing together after awhile. She has shown NO signs of heat whatsoever since day one. I am used to my slutty mares, even maidens where there is NO missing heat cycles....will watch this post to see what othersd say also....thanks for posting

We had a mare that had silent heats. We usually pasture bred and the stallion bred her each year but rarely did I see signs of a heat. She settled every year. Seeing your mares back legs moist may be a sign he has already bred her
default_smile.png

I think if you are sure your mare is not coming in heat you need to have her ultrasounded. Could be many reasons but an ultrasound in the very least will show if she is producing any follicles which can be measured.

You can try something simple like giving her a shot of Estrumate (.5 cc), usually brings them in in 3 days...can also be repeated in 7 days if no heat is seen with first dose. I have used this on mares that haven't come in after foaling.

But you have to make sure she isn't in foal before giving. So ultimately I think you need to start with an ultrasound.

Latest posts

Back