Bred mares..............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Just wondering, for all you that have breed minis over the years. If a mare is in foal, how early do they get the pg look? I've heard people say, she is getting the in foal look. So I was curious when you guys can tell on your mares?

Thanks in advance!

I have not had a foal yet but I think it depends on the mare. If a first time mare, she may not show like a mare who has had babies. I have heard some say there maiden mares hardly showed at all. I am excited to know the signs as I have 2 mares being bred for 2006.

Well mine foaled June 21 and looked thin, and is well fed and bred back...she looks as PG as she did the day she foaled...
smile.gif

l have a 33 inch mare 4 years old who looked in foal when l got her and l was kind of hoping but she is not just fat l guess with that look of expecting.

I had a very similair situation as Happy.I bought a 5 year old mare who was supposed to be in foal and looked to be due in a month or two at least, turned out she wasn't in foal at all!

I have to agree with Donna...My maiden mare is in her 323rd day.She DON"T even look like she is ready to faol. She looks like she has a little hay belly. If I had not seen the ultra sound I would not know she is preg.... She is starting to show the signs now...butt pushing, pacing, some bagging up more on one side though, walking away from her food, tail head very prominate now, and something she has never done before..laying completly out to sleep!?!?!? Here she is 2 days ago..

Shilohs Sugar Baby..

jul16278.jpg

Maiden mares often don't show much. It's the years after THAT!

Then, anywhere from month 5/6 or beyond....it depends on the build of the mare. I have a wonderful Arenosa Shetland/AMHR mare who has given us foals for 3 years now and she is now losing her "model" figure after her third baby. Up til then, I probably could have SHOWN her without too much toning up!!!!

MA

My Ecco is pregnant for the first time- wouldn't you know this is the year she decides to set when I am showing her???This is the third year I have tried, but her Mama was a late bloomer too, so I was not too concerned. Two days ago she saw fit to tell me. She is just 43 days gone but it is already obvious, and she is a slightly long backed mare too. Maybe it is because I have her fit and in show condition that it shows but it's unmistakable. Now I have to relent on the diet!! She can go out with the broodmares after the Royal on the 30th and chill, I've promised- Oh, and she says it's a filly (I wanted a colt
rolleyes.gif
)

cb7056xy.jpg

Here is my 8 year old mare pregnant with her fifth foal. She is five months, just about. Due Jan. 31...I can see the pregnancy, and have been able to now for a couple months. She is one that when she gets in foal, she gets the "lump" belly right away.

She's 32" tall, for reference.

Liz M.

yes i agree, it does depend very much on the mare - and how much weight she's carrying while breeding. The look of heavy ness ? on one side than the other, is good for me with my fitter mares.

While my seasoned brood mares ALWAYS look in foal !

Except for maidens or chubbos, I usually see a change at around 6 months.

Latest posts

Back