Bred Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
Could someone tell me what you feed your bred mares? I'm feeding my mare 12% sweet feed and wheat hay. Is there something more that I should be feeding her? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
default_yes.gif

Everyone feeds different things so you will get loads of different opinions.

My current bred mares get 1/2 lb per feeding AM/PM each of Strategy and they each get two flakes of coastal hay each twice per day. They are due in February and I am slowly increasing their grain to 1 lb each per feeding AM/PM and then will up it again as needed for nursing mares.

Just depends on your mares lifestyle and needs!

EDITED TO ADD:

All three of my bred mares are pretty dang easy keepers and all of them are looking good. Just remember some need more than others!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed our pregnant mares a 14% mare and foal feed along with free choice grass hay. I also add a supplement such as Mares Plus from TSC during their last trimester.

I would never feed sweet feed. I know lots of folks do, but imo it is unsuitable for any beast.

I may be feeding an expectant mare myself, so I'll be looking into nutrition also! What seems most confusing to me, is that different parts of the country seem to have different feeds available. For example, there is no feed store within 100 miles of me that carries beet pulp.

I may be feeding an expectant mare myself, so I'll be looking into nutrition also! What seems most confusing to me, is that different parts of the country seem to have different feeds available. For example, there is no feed store within 100 miles of me that carries beet pulp.
Nothing local carries/stocks beet pulp around here, but a local co-op special orders beet pulp for me ($9.50/50#, this year), so I ordered my winter supply (15-20 bags, depending on the year) in the fall and store it. [TSC now carries Standlee beet pulp pellets ($10.50/40#) and shreds ($8/25#); but my closest TSC is 150 miles one-way. They also carry grass hay pellets, which I do use; another product I stock up on.]

All my minis are on Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula (ration balancer) and grass hay plus this winter they are getting some alfalfa pellets and oats (except my laminitic mare and another chubby mare, they get grass pellets instead); and they get a separate meal of soaked beet pulp mid day.

My expecting mares get the same feed, but get a higher level of the ProAdvantage and those that need extra calories get oats and alfalfa pellets.

Nothing local carries/stocks beet pulp around here, but a local co-op special orders beet pulp for me ($9.50/50#, this year), so I ordered my winter supply (15-20 bags, depending on the year) in the fall and store it. [TSC now carries Standlee beet pulp pellets ($10.50/40#) and shreds ($8/25#); but my closest TSC is 150 miles one-way. They also carry grass hay pellets, which I do use; another product I stock up on.]

We hsave a TSC in Lubbock. I'll check out the beet pulp shreds. Why do you feed Beet Pulp? I know dumb question, but that's how you learn, right.

We hsave a TSC in Lubbock. I'll check out the beet pulp shreds. Why do you feed Beet Pulp? I know dumb question, but that's how you learn, right.
Personally, I mostly feed it to help with hydration in winter when they don't always drink enough, I feed it soaked (fairly wet); I use 1/3# dry measure (then soaked). But, I've also used it to help with weight on a couple, they got a significant amount to help hold/gain weight (at least twice the "hydration" amount I use).

Here are a couple website with good information about beet pulp:

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml

And, here's a cute story about beet pulp: http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/squirrel.shtml

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs3243#You (beet pulp is about 1/3 way down the page, but lots of good nutrition info on the page).

Personally, I mostly feed it to help with hydration in winter when they don't always drink enough, I feed it soaked (fairly wet); I use 1/3# dry measure (then soaked). But, I've also used it to help with weight on a couple, they got a significant amount to help hold/gain weight (at least twice the "hydration" amount I use).

Here are a couple website with good information about beet pulp:

http://www.shady-acr.../beetpulp.shtml

And, here's a cute story about beet pulp: http://www.shady-acr.../squirrel.shtml

http://www1.agric.go...all/hrs3243#You (beet pulp is about 1/3 way down the page, but lots of good nutrition info on the page).
Thank you so much for the information links. They are great and the squirrel is just the humor I needed tonight.

I probably will shock and irritate a few, but I wanted to change the paradigm.

Horses do not have to be fed grain or vitamin supplements. That goes for pregnant mares as well.

Horses evolved on the northern plains of Africa where there was a bite of grass here and one over there. They grazed all day long and had to walk to find food. We put them in small areas and slug feed them hay (frequently too rich) and grain and wonder why they are over weight, founder, and have troubles foaling and getting pregnant. Imagine if you went to the Zoo and saw the penguins eating fish pellets in a heated enclosure. Would you say 'what wonderful care they get' or 'these animals should be kept as close to natural as possible'?

I recommend pasturing mares all year round in large areas and feeding strategically so they have to walk to get hay. The only supplement I would add is a trace mineral salt block made for your area.

I find fewer problems in the low input situations than the elaborate, high energy care some feel they 'must' provide.

Dr Taylor

I feed and exercise my pregnant mares just like before they were bred. I don't do anything different other than give them an additional vitamin supplement (something like Farnam's "Mare Plus" supplement. I try to make sure their weight looks good over their spine and hips.

I myself am pregnant, and am making sure I'm taking my prenatal vitamins. Otherwise, I'm just trying to eat healthy and not eat any junk food (only nutrient-dense foods). Same principal. If the mare is healthy, the little fetus in there will be healthy, too. A vitamin supplement may be needed so the mare doesn't deplete her own vitamin stores, as the foal is going to be getting nutrition one way or the other... it's the mare who will sacrifice if something is lacking.

Andrea

Most of the time I would say that a 14% protein feed is what you should feed to pregnant mares. But I know this mare and "easy keeper" is an understatement. I think that the 12% is okay.

And as for not needing grain or feed, in our area we do not have good quality grass or hay, so I feel that mares around here definitely need the extra from the feed.

I know she was fed a sweet feed before, but it would probably be best to change her over to a pelleted feed. I have found my horses do better on it. And this girl certainly does not need the extra starch or sugar.

I have changed all of mine over to Nutrena SafeChoice. I had used it before and decided that I liked it better than what I was feeding recently so have gone back to it. Strategy is another one that I like, but is somewhat more expensive here and I have found that I have to feed more of it.

I would take her off of the wheat hay. Unless it is made from beardless wheat. The beards whiskers have a tendency to get stuck in the jaw and throat. And I think it is one of the lower quality hays that we have around here. Just a bermuda grass or coastal hay would be best.

My mares are kept together in a herd enviroment and have a large round bale 24/7. I have gates open to several corrals in the winter so they can move about since horses are a forage animal I think it is important to keep them moving .All my minis get soaked beet pulp-alfalfa pellets with Strategy 2x day. I do not like sweet feeds...but that is just me. Each gets what I feel is appropriate for each mini. Some don't require as much feed. I have not had a problem with founder or colic either. Of course when it is really cold I keep a closer eye on them. I let them out onto the big 20a pasture each day to run and play. Same goes for the Stallions. I think exersize each day keeps them mentally balanced just like us humans need. Imagine kept in a stall 24/7 without being let out for a while each day...wouldn't you go bonkers? I think that is why alot of people have behavior issues-health issues because we tend to make the animal conform to OUR lifestyle...JMO.

Most of the time I would say that a 14% protein feed is what you should feed to pregnant mares. But I know this mare and "easy keeper" is an understatement. I think that the 12% is okay.

And as for not needing grain or feed, in our area we do not have good quality grass or hay, so I feel that mares around here definitely need the extra from the feed.

I know she was fed a sweet feed before, but it would probably be best to change her over to a pelleted feed. I have found my horses do better on it. And this girl certainly does not need the extra starch or sugar.

I have changed all of mine over to Nutrena SafeChoice. I had used it before and decided that I liked it better than what I was feeding recently so have gone back to it. Strategy is another one that I like, but is somewhat more expensive here and I have found that I have to feed more of it.

I would take her off of the wheat hay. Unless it is made from beardless wheat. The beards whiskers have a tendency to get stuck in the jaw and throat. And I think it is one of the lower quality hays that we have around here. Just a bermuda grass or coastal hay would be best.
The wheat hay is beardless and April is doing great on what I have been feeding her. I have kept the amount of sweet feed to a minamin.

When I go in to the feed store I'll look at the Nutrena and Strategy. We've been talking about rolled oats and a dash of cotton seed mill.

I've had horese, but it's been a long time and they were big. My three now are miniature and I'm probaly just being too analitical on everything. I want the best for them they are very precious to me. Over protective Momma I guess, but that's me.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back