Bred mare off her grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
We have a very pregnant mare (over 340 days) who delivered two years ago with no problems. We do not recall her going off her feed with her previous delivery. About a week ago she started refusing to eat her strategy or born to win except for a small amount from your hand. She has continued to eat hay and drink water. She has seemed increasingly restless, not wanting to go out with the other mares into the lot. She stands in the corner of her stall, shifting her weight from one rear leg to the other. During this week the baby has definately dropped resulting in the classic V look. I expressed milk to do the kit and it was the color of 1-2% cows milk. I think my strips are no longer good as they have not chnaged color on my last two mares. Our vet said I could give her some oral banamine in case she was experiencing discomfort. I gave her a dose last night and she did seem to sleep better and eat more hay later. She has a slight pink tinged discharge and is very droopy.

My gut tells me that she is OK just close to delivery. When I go in and sit with her, rubbing her neck she is not hot and does not seem distressed just uncomfortable. Suggestions?
default_unsure.png

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

Your soon going to have baby!

We have a very pregnant mare (over 340 days) who delivered two years ago with no problems. We do not recall her going off her feed with her previous delivery. About a week ago she started refusing to eat her strategy or born to win except for a small amount from your hand. She has continued to eat hay and drink water. She has seemed increasingly restless, not wanting to go out with the other mares into the lot. She stands in the corner of her stall, shifting her weight from one rear leg to the other. During this week the baby has definately dropped resulting in the classic V look. I expressed milk to do the kit and it was the color of 1-2% cows milk. I think my strips are no longer good as they have not chnaged color on my last two mares. Our vet said I could give her some oral banamine in case she was experiencing discomfort. I gave her a dose last night and she did seem to sleep better and eat more hay later. She has a slight pink tinged discharge and is very droopy.

My gut tells me that she is OK just close to delivery. When I go in and sit with her, rubbing her neck she is not hot and does not seem distressed just uncomfortable. Suggestions?
default_unsure.png

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

I'm sure it must happen, but I've never, ever had a pregnant mare go off their feed. They are at their piggiest right before the foal is born and would eat 24/7 if I let them!!
default_wacko.png

I have had them pick in their feed, but only a day or two before foaling, or the day of, not a whole week. Perhaps she does not feel she needs it, or there is something more in the hay that she wants? You know how when you get a craving because your body is lacking in something? Maybe she just doesnt want any right now.

Being restless is normal as the day gets closer... I dont like giving drugs unless it is a must, and because she is restless does not mean she is in pain.

Have patience, your baby will arrive soon!

She sounds like she's ready to pop any time......... In addition to what her milk LOOKED like, how did it FEEL? Really sticky like syrup or honey? We've never had a mare go off her grain for any more than one meal prior to foaling.........and some of them will be eating, lay down - foal out, then continue eating again!
default_rolleyes.gif

As of tonight Tinkerbell is very fidgety, stretching her neck and making grimace faces, and her milk has a yellow tint. It is not sticky and does not taste sweet. She belongs to my inlaws and they went and got her some cracked corn and oats this afternoon. She ate about a half cup again (just like the amount of strategy or born to win she would eat out of my hand). Otherwise she continues to just eat hay and paw.

One of my mares goes off her feed about a week or two before she foals. It bothers me, but they just don't have room I guess. As long as she's eating hay, I'd not worry.

I think you'll be making an annoucement soon--very soon. Watch her!!!
default_yes.gif

I have one doing the same thing, definitely NOT the norm around here
default_smile.png
She has been picking at her feed for the last week or 10 days, will finish it gradually at night when she's in but doesn't eat half her breakfast. Otherwise seems fine, should still be a week or so away by her dates. Yours sounds pretty close.

Jan

Are you saying you changed her grain to try to get her to eat? I wouldnt change what I am offering for feed this late in the game. There are mares who go off feed just before foaling I personally dont own any but some do. Without pics its hard to say how close you are but it seems like quite close. She will do fine even without the grain if she is still eating hay and plenty of fresh water. She will eat again after the baby comes Im sure. I just would be scared to change feeds this close to foaling even a small amount. JMO

I agree with Nita on this.......... Late in the pregnancy isn't a good time to change her grain. If she still doesn't like her grain after foaling, then change it gradually. Just my opinion.

***UPDATE - Not good news, please say a little prayer
default_pray.gif

Gary and his parents are on their way to University of Florida's Large Animal Hospital with Tinkerbell. She still was not eating except for grass and hay and water. Today while my 75 year old in-laws were here helping with the horses she had some sort of episode. They said she shook her head and lost her balance slamming into things in the barn. They called the vet and she came right out, drew blood and left two tubes of gastroguard. Tonight she called and said Tinkerbell is suffering from hyperlipidemia. She is hopeful since she had continued to eat hay and grass amd drink water. I was worried when I got home this afternoon before the vets call because she seemed lethargic and the spark was gone from her. The vet warned Gary and my in-laws that she may not make it and it is very likely that they will want to induce labor for the foal. The vet here pushed the foal and it still kicks strongly. She thinks it is mature enough to survive birth based on it being already in the birth canal and its size.

I didn't go because we have another mare ready to go at any time. Please pray for Tinker and her baby. She is the beautiful buckskin mare pictured in the bottom picture on this page of our website with the other mare who is expecting at any time, Sally.

http://www.stardustacresminis.com/mares.htm

[SIZE=12pt]Prayers coming your way for Tinkerbell. Hope she and her little one make it through this. Please keep us posted as you can and good luck on the ones you are still waiting for.[/SIZE]

Barbie

Im so sorry to read this update. My friend was so worried that it was hyperlipemia and was hoping the pm got to you in time. Dont give up yet though. Frans mare did this same exact thing. They had to wean the foal and then give the mare IV's etc. Fran and I went to see her and she still wouldnt eat in the hospital so fran asked if she could walk her in grass. We walked her and she started eating grass! after that the hospital took her out every couple hours to get her eating again. Then she went back on hay. Her mare made it so Im praying yours does too! For sure though I would not let the foal nurse or the mare will get worse.

The vet is optimistic (we'll see what the hospital says as it takes two hours to get there from here) because she is still eating hay and grass and drinking water. She is still carrying the foal and it appears to still be healthy. As would be the case with nursing, her carrying it is drawing nutrition from the mare though. That is why they may induce. All we can do is pray and let her know we love her. I am a high school guidance counselor and have next week off for spring break. I hope I have the opportunity to spoil Tinkerbell and her foal a lot starting Friday at 3:30PM

I do appreciate your friends message. We had been in contact with the vet and Tinkerbell had been continuing to eat grass and hay but...

Oh no sorry to hear your latest news
default_no.gif
I will be praying for both of them. Please keep us updated

Well Gary just called from Gainesville. Tinkerbell is all settled into the ICU Unit at UF's Large Animal Hospital. Dr. Sarah was hopeful after they did the ultrasound of her liver (bloodwork wasn't in yet). She is hooked up to an IV and is munching down on hay and drinking. The reproductive staff will take a look at her tomorrow and make any decisions regarding the foal. My in-laws were excited that they could see the baby on the ultrasound.

I feel much better after talking to Gary. You could hear the relief in his voice. Hopefully the only bad news we will get from here on out will be the bill (eeek!) Please keep the prayers coming.

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

Latest posts

Back