Bred Mare feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
Ok Breeders. Could you give me your opinions on when to put a bred mare on different feed or how ya'll feed your bred mares at what stages of pregnancy. I think I've read a thread about it sometime, but can't find it. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

A lot will depend on the quality and availability of pasture.

I have very good grazing year round for my horses and I cut my own hay so as long as they hold a healthy weight level they just graze until the final month, I then bring them in, replace the grazing with grass hay that is available whenever they want it and introduce a breakfast and a dinner which starts as a soaked roughage feed (chaff, hay cubes or beet pulp) with a suppliment specially forumlated for broodmares. On top of this they may get a quantity of pellets if I think they need the extra boost.

Thank you Wings. Here in Texas this year the pastures are practially non exicent (sp) So she is just about dry lot. Should I put her on a mare n foal now at 3 mos

Probably wouldn't hurt to get her started, keep the amounts small and remember the last thing you want is a fat broodie!

No problems. Hopefully one of the feed gurus will drop in and have some more specific advice!

I just try to do all my diets on top of good roughage. If there isn't enough grass I use good grass hay, I want to supliment my broodies with lucerne hay as well next year so I'll see how that goes for them!

Hay around here has been very scarce or outragously high so I've gone to Chaffhaye.The chips like it and they have been doing good. I'm hoping to have a better hay source next year, but that will depend on the rain. So far it has been nonexitent. There hasn't been enough rain here to get any thing up for winter grazing.
default_no.gif
. That's why I I am thinking a good mare and foal to help.

Thanks Diane. The chaffhaye is alfalfa with a little mollases mixed. It is 9% protein and I can't remember the rest. I'll look on the bag tomorrow. It is very consistent.. The recommended is a pound and a half per 100 lb weight. They had been on wheat hay, but had to change. Can't find it now. I've just started changing them over and the chaffhaye is is moist. so that helps doesn't it? They each have been getting 2 cups of sweet feed a day also. I was going to change that to Oats to cut mollases intake.

Hubby is used to big horses and sorta gets offended when I say I want to do this or that with them on the feed. They have salt block but no mineral block.

With April preggers I don't want her too fat. Sounds like I'm feeding all wrong for their health. Can you see Juan's picture? My avitar. This is the weight of him and April. Dolly is more slender, but she is taller and younger. I'm thinking more protien and less sweet. That's where they are getting their weight. Right?

I know I sound crazy. I am just brainstorming out loud and trying to figure this out.

I would suggest you buy a scale for the barn as each cup can vary. I also bought a scale from the fishing/hunting shop to weigh my hay. I have it tied to the ceiling and I put the hay in a bag and weigh it. It is amazing how the weight can vary from one slice to another.

My mares are out in the fields 24/7 and they will stay there until it snows. They get a very small amount of hay twice a day but it is only bc they are jealous of me feeding my sons riding ponies that are in the field next door. Once it snows and they are forced to come in then I will start them off with Alfalfa cubes and then slowly add some food in the last month. My girls are all fat so I don't need to worry too much. At the moment I am trying to find a mineral supplement to give them or a mineral block but it is so hard to find things in this country and they are very heavy to order on line.

Latest posts

Back