"Bred for 2013" as a selling point - not!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori W

Reaction score
default_1857272.gif
I gotta get on my soapbox here and get this off my chest... I was just browsing an online auction and nearly all the mares had been 'bred for 2013', most to the same stallion. I'm thinking, if I wanted to buy one of these mares and decided I wanted her bred, I'd want her bred to a stallion of my own, or at least a stallion of my choice. I'm seeing all these bred mares just adding to the over-population we're experiencing.

JMHO, but let it be the choice of the new owner - not the seller - to breed the mare. In fact, having the mare bred (and using it as a selling point) turns me off from buying the mare, unless it's a stellar stallion. Ok, flame suit on!

I totally agree with you and have brought this up before. Why not sell a mare and offer her to be bred to the stallion if the buyer wants her bred?

Ive seen this many of times too and honestly with todays economy I think it would just hurt a sell. I agree with Matt offer a breeding if you want too.

I've seen even big name breeders breed 2 year olds, sure maybe to nice stallions but is it freakin worth it?

Im not in the market to buy any mares, bred or not but I do agree w/Matt and Lori....give the buyer the option. Unless it truly is a knock your socks off stallion and you have seen what the 2 produce!!

I've felt the same way in the past. My guess is if you consider the time of year... It's rapidly approaching an already bred for 2013 or you could breed her IN 2013 (for 2014) situation. If I were in the market for a broodmare, at this time of year, I actually would prefer that she be bred, of course to a nice stallion with quality foals on the ground and with a National show record under his belt.

I haven't purchased in years but an actually in the market for 2 horses right now. One is a proven broodmare. I've been looking for a couple of months. Not, I repeat NOT, going to buy a bred mare. I'm going to breed only to the stallion of my choice. I've passed on probably 10 quality mares because they were exposed or confirmed. Total turn off for me.

I bought a bred 2 year old once, the price was right, and I loved the mare, and I had her aborted. Wasn't worth it to me for the foal - and felt it was the right thing for the mare. She was only about 60 days, so it was an easy process. It definately (to me at least) doesn't add any value to have one bred. . .

While in the STB world it's a pretty big deal to have a bred back mare. Because they aren't there for conformation just as long as they are fast. Trust me there are some pretty ugly ones that go really fast. Even though I am new to this whole mini world I wouldn't buy a bred mini mare either.

This thread makes me smile...I'm not looking to buy a bred mare, though there is one bred mare I could be persuaded to buy if I had the room and the money...which I don't...and I'm not offering any bred mares for sale but...

This is a simple fix--there are so many minis for sale that if you want a mare that isn't bred there are plenty to choose from. <VBG>. You don't have to buy one.When the sellers realize that no one wants their bred mares, next year perhaps they will have open mares for sale! Not to mention a few colts and fillies too!

What I find the most irritating are the "mare for sale, available after her foal is weaned". No thanks, offer her later when she is actually available and then I might look.

I know the feeling I turned my back on several mares because they where bred. I want them bred to my stallion not someone elses.

y'ep. I don't get it either, esp. the "need to cut back " ads that have every mare listed as bred or exposed
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am looking early in the year I also like the option to buy the mare open or exposed if there is a stallion I like as an option. I always look at the mare herself anyways, even if exposed to a stallion I am not fond of I still may consider the mare due to how I think she will cross with our stallions. Before we start breeding we always offer our sale mares as open or exposed to stallion of choice but if it gets late enough and we want the chance of another foal from said mare then we want them to be due before show season starts. If I want an open mare I start looking early in the year.

I would only buy an open mare after a complete breeding soundness check. Otherwise how do you know if she can even get in foal if she isn't in foal at the time? I see several mares for sale as exposed and I know who they are and know they won't have a foal, but they were exposed and someone who doesn't know the details or the right questions to ask, won't know that. So if your looking for a broodmare, make sure you spend the money to have her checked out first if she is open.

I actually have two of my mares for sale that are bred to my stallion for 2013. Someone looking for a nice 2 in 1 deal would appreciate that and heck even if they don't sell its not a big deal as ill foal them out here and keep the foals for myself. Its a thing of I would like to sell (not a have to) but in the meantime if I can get foals for 2013 then I will breed for my liking.

I like what my stallion and these two produce so in my view either someone will get a nice deal or I get a nice deal and have two foals I know ill like and appreciate.

I raise straight ASPC ponies, in the last week between myself and my "pony partner" in PA, we have sold near $10,000 in ASPC ponies in the last week - 2 weeks in COLTS. The market is only as bad as we keep on promoting it as being. I'm not bragging, I am just saying.

In the past when I was trying to sell some open mares(my choice not to breed them)who had had foals previously, I was often questioned as to why they were not in foal.There wer many potential buyers who wouldn't even consider an open mare.This was several years ago when the market was much better, but there are still some folks out there with that mindset.

D*mned if you do & d*mned if you don't. You can't please everyone
default_doh.gif

We rarely ever sell bred mares. If I breed them, I keep them till they foal. I just know if I sell them before they are going to foal that perfect filly I've been waiting for and I'll be kicking myself hahaha.

I think you're right, Leeana! I think the market is good for quality. I'm not in the market now but was last year and spent a pretty penny for a very nice horse.

I also think if you're out to buy a broodmare now, you're likely to be giving her a year off if she's not in foal already. ... and as minimomNC said, risk the chance of her not being able to get in foal if she's not checked. If you're after a broodmare, then you are after foals.

I think you guys are all looking at it from the wrong perspective. If you're involved enough to come to this message board then chances are you have some knowledge about mini's, showing, the market etc. and care about your bloodlines enough that you want to choose who to breed your mares to. People here are a tiny minority of the mini horse purchasers. Getting a 2'fer is a huge bonus for the person who is going to throw the mini out behind the barn where the broken tractor sits (yeah, I'm talking about the legendary "backyard breeder") They don't care who the sire is...they just care that they're buying one - getting two. Just a different take on why bred mares are selling.

Latest posts

Back