Brand Spankin' New to Minis and Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediMom

Reaction score
I am going to jump right in here, and I apologize if there is an introductions room because I didn't see it. :DOH! My family and I adopted a 10 month old miniature horse last night. He's a little appaloosa, and he's the sweetest little guy. We are new to horses, though, and some book recommendations would be wonderful at this point. We are also located in NE OK so if there are any mini clubs out there, we'd love a shout-out.

When I say we are new, I don't mean completely new to equine. Our family also has a miniature donkey pair (mom and baby jack).

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
Welcome to the forum from Southern Ontario, Canada
default_biggrin.png
Youhave come to the right place to learn all about minis. I don't know any good books about minis but I am sure someone will tell you which books to buy.

Yvonne

Hi there, from SW OK! You can check out the Oklahoma Miniature Horse Club website at www.omhci.org. We just had our yearly clinic last month, it is too bad you didn't get to come. You could have met a lot of us club members and learned a ton.

[SIZE=14pt]Welcome from the beautiful state of East Tennessee![/SIZE]

Bill
default_aktion033.gif

default_aktion033.gif
Welcome from the wonderful state of Texas. Also welcome to the wonderful world of miniatures.

Carlene

Welcome from Utah!!! This forum board is an awesome place to learn about minis! No question is ever stupid! I think some of the biggest areas overlooked in minis is either feeding them too much/too little, keeping up on their feet, and keeping up on their teeth. That and disapline. Minis are so cute, its hard to repremand them for nasty behavior.

But welcome! Minis are so much fun! You'll be acquiring another soon!!!
default_biggrin.png

Hey, we have something in common. I am currently in search of my first mini. I've been here for a couple of weeks now. Everyone is really nice and helpful. Hopefully soon I'll be announcing my first mini too. You will have to post a pic of yours when you get a chance.

Welcome from the Tarheel State! Be sure to check out the donkey forum, since you've got longears too!

Welcome, from Wisconsin!

You might try Miniature Horses by Barbara Naviaux and if you're interested in training your mini for show etc., I like, Train Your Own Mini by Cynthia Tunstall. There are lots of books. I'm sure some more will be mentioned.

The best place to find lots of information is right here and it's free! Good luck and have lots of FUN!
default_aktion033.gif

Welcome from Maine

There are many good books if you google miniature horse books many will come up but the information pages on this forum and the Best of this forum will help you out alot.

Hi from New York
default_saludando.gif
Check out www.smallhorse.com . You will find loads of books and videos on minis
default_yes.gif

Congratulations on your acquisition
default_smile.png
and welcome. You will find lots of nice mini folks in OK that are happy to share information and help you learn.

Jan

Welcome here from Virginia
bye.gif

You will find lots of nice people and good advice here
happy0064.gif

A good book I think every mini owner should have is Miniature Horses: A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders by Rebecca Frankeny
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much for the wonderful welcomes! I spent much of yesterday outside getting to know our new little guy. He most definitely understands the word, "NO." LOL I am going to post a couple of pics of him, but they aren't the greatest. He would not hold his head up and look at me long enough to snap a pic. He would walk to me every single time! He is red in the pic, but the lady we adopted him from said his spotting would come after his Winter coat came out, or whenever his testicles dropped. I can't remember which it is! LOL
default_wub.png
I am all new to these little guys! I do know he has white hair intermingled with his red. We brushed him several times yesterday. I think I have enough hair there to crochet myself another mini! LOL
default_biggrin.png

minihorse.jpg

minihorseIII.jpg

welcome from west central illinois!! this is THEEEE best place to learn about minis!

warning...warning...danger...danger...might as well start looking for your next mini 'cause ya can't stop with just one!

your little guy is a cutie. have you brought him in the house yet?
default_biggrin.png

welcome from west central illinois!! this is THEEEE best place to learn about minis!

warning...warning...danger...danger...might as well start looking for your next mini 'cause ya can't stop with just one!

your little guy is a cutie. have you brought him in the house yet?
default_biggrin.png
LOL Not yet, but I almost put him in the back yard where the patio is. We had some storms come through overnight, and I didn't want him to be scared. I mean, he has adequate shelter out in the yard he's in, but it would just make me feel better!

Yes, I'm hoping to find another little one down the road. I am unsure at this point, though. I really don't want to get a little girl because I don't want any babies!! I plan on gelding him when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back