Brand New filly born this morning at 12:01am

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
Hey all,

We had a brand new filly born first thing this morning. We were able to see the whole process, mom needed just a little help getting her out, I had to pull one of the babies legs a little more forwards and she slid right out. She is a little spitfire already and as soon as she stood up nursed and was running around the stall. And we have been watching her on the camera and she keeps running underneath her mom and jumping all over. She is not quite unfolded just yet. She was just 1hr old in these photos. Her name is JMS 8 Second Dance. No barn name yet. I want hers to be special since I was expecting a colt on this one too.

Now on her color. We are stumped. When she first came out we both thought she was black, but now that she has dried off she looks silver or blue roan. But I don't see how she could be since she is out of 2 black pintos. Both of the sires parents are black pintos, and the Dams parents are a Chestnut and Black pinto. Could she be smokey black and one parent is hiding something on us? Or is she just plain black and is very light colored. Any help appreciated on helping with her color. She also has a TON of striping on her hooves. Its almost appy like on one hoof.

Now Onto pictures!!

58435brand_new.JPG

584358_second_dance.JPG

58435back.JPG

58435look_down.JPG

58435face.JPG

I would venture to say she is born smokey grey or black, but will turn black like her mommy a littel later on.

Cute filly! Love the 4 white socks!

Black foals are sometimes born with a silver ish color, you might find that when you clip her or when she sheds her baby hair out that she will be black. You can't have a roan without a roan parent. And I am not a color expert but I thought smokey black required a creme gene? And it doesn't sound like the sire or dam have that either. I think black, though possibly black bay if either of the parents carry agouti. The fact that the mane is already black and darker than the rest of the body makes me think maybe black bay. When you push the fuzz aside, what color is the coat right next to the skin?

Smoky black parents can "look" as black as the night. You cannot always tell by looking if a black horse carries cream dilute -- so it's possible the sire and / or dam may carry cream dilute
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]She's LOVELY Christina!!! Is she a Hawk baby? Many of his Sire's black/black pinto babies start out this color. I'd say she'll be a black minimal tobiano...and did I mention she's LOVELY!!!?!?![/SIZE]

default_yes.gif
I think she is just black also. It was just a total shock to her dry off so light colored. I already can't wait to clip her and see what is under the fuzz. She is definatly going to nationals
default_wub.png

Yep, she is a Hawk baby. He definatly threw some nice fillies for us this year. And on Monday he had a Black pinto colt, we no longer own the mare. But the baby is still ours. No pics of him tho. We are going out to see him on tuesday so will have some pictures then.

Last edited by a moderator:
CONGRATULATIONS on your darling new filly. I would say she is a black pinto. The striping on the hooves is typical of pinto horses with the white socks.

Congratulations, she is lovely, and I love her flashy socks!
default_biggrin.png
I've seen black foals be born looking a silvery-black like your filly and then end up being jet-black, so I vote black too.
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your filly. She is cute. My vote is that she is a minimal black pinto. I have had many a black baby born looking gray or silver. When she sheds out her baby coat she will be black.

Congratulations! My vote is Black and cute!

Lyn

Baby hair is always much lighter colored than the adult coat, so she appears black to me. And pintos can have striped hooves too, depending on the pigment at the hairline probably. Some pintos have those little colored spots at the base of their legs, etc....

She may be black.......but whatever she is - she's beautiful!

Latest posts

Back