Brand New filly born this morning at 12:01am

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations she is very precious
default_wub.png
Joyce

Congrats on the pretty filly! I also agree with black. I had a very light colored black colt born 2 years ago who is pictured in my avatar. People thought he would be silver like his sire and dam and her previous 3 foals. However, his coloring was different than any of my silver foals and he had a black, black mane and tail.
default_smile.png
I was right and he is black although I suspect cream may run in his family (I have no actual proof of this though).

What an adorable little head!! She's lovely! Congratulations!

She is a beautiful little filly, Congrats!

She is beautiful and BLACK!

Congrats....

The color is Fading Black.

Jet blacks are born jet black.
I love black horses! Your foal is just beautiful!

I don't mean to high jack the thread but I have a question about black. Do you have to have a nonfading black parent to get a nonfading black? can it be tested for? I know EE is homozygous for black but that could mean any black. I have read that their is a dominant black that hides agouti. That is not the non fading black.

Shelia B.

Black is Black...this foal is Black.

The deep bright Blacks are often going to go Grey (if there is a Grey parent, that is)

Grey seems to concentrate the colours, in a foal, so a Chestnut is affected the same way- a bright, bright Chestnut, with a Grey parent, will 99% of the time go Grey.

Fading/non Fading, it makes no difference to the foal colour, and is not yet testable.

"Dominant Black" does not exist, Black cannot hide Agouti, Agouti shows on Black.

A word on Smoky Black (Black + Cream).

Even though it does not really show, and a true Black horse can carry Cream, in Minis, Cream does seem to step outside the rulebook, as it were.

Thus a Black foal, in Minis, can sometimes "show" Cream.

This does NOT mean all "off Black" foals carry Cream, it is merely an observation for people more used to "Big Horse" colours and effects!!

Latest posts

Back