Bot flies?? and goopy eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber O

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with bot flies and their minis? I have one mini who is covered in bot fly eggs. What can I do to remove them, just get a bot knife? or is there something that I need to be giving her to keep them away? I'm also having a major issue with goopy eyes in my minis. None of their forelocks are long enough to have an effect on their eyes either. Thanks everyone!

My only advice would be using the comb to remove the eggs and to keep up the wormer. Not sure if the horse fly spray works on the eggs or not.

For goopy eyes? I wipe their eyes with unscented non-alcohol Baby Wipes. For some reason, after doing it a couple of times their eyes clear up.

Funny you should mention the forelocks causing eye goop..... I only have ONE mare who reacts to a long forelock that way and I get teased/yelled at by family and friends because twice a year I sneak out with scissors and give her BANGS. (She's a 30 year old retired broodmare and I think she appreciates it!) LOL.

Try a bucket of warm water to wash the bot eggs off. Or run your clippers down the hairs. That is what I generally do if I see bot eggs on mine. I've heard the water will loosen and wash them off, but I find the clippers are easier. After it freezes, you can do an Ivermectin dose, in case he ingested any of the eggs.
For the eyes, try washing before freaking out about an infection. Put a tsp of salt in body-warm water and use a soft cloth to sponge the eyes. The salt breaks the tension of the water and also is more comfortable for the eye. It is a saline wash. If you wash a couple of days and see no improvement, get an ophthalmic ointment from the vet. He will probably need to see the horse before giving your the ointment, but that may be best anyway.

Has anyone had issues with bot flies and their minis? I have one mini who is covered in bot fly eggs. What can I do to remove them, just get a bot knife? or is there something that I need to be giving her to keep them away? I'm also having a major issue with goopy eyes in my minis. None of their forelocks are long enough to have an effect on their eyes either. Thanks everyone!
When I first got my Welsh Cobb, he was covered in bot fly eggs. Easy to remove with a grooming "stone". It's an very light grey/black block about the size of a hand. Feels like rough sand paper. It just takes them right off (it also "shaves" hair. My first attempt was a vet that said to use a disposable razor, but this idea made me nervous. Farrier told me about the grooming blocks. They are cheap too. And the horse just thinks they are getting groomed/brushed just like normal. I love it!

When I first got my Welsh Cobb, he was covered in bot fly eggs. Easy to remove with a grooming "stone". It's an very light grey/black block about the size of a hand. Feels like rough sand paper. It just takes them right off (it also "shaves" hair. My first attempt was a vet that said to use a disposable razor, but this idea made me nervous. Farrier told me about the grooming blocks. They are cheap too. And the horse just thinks they are getting groomed/brushed just like normal. I love it!
I wonder if that is the same as a sanding block for woodworking? I have a couple of those on hand. No bots this year--yet.

"Slick and Easy" stones are really good for just shedding them out. Bot eggs are easy enough to remove with them. Some horses don't like the rough feel but most do.

Latest posts

Back