Born Buckskin, What is she doing???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
Feather was born Buckskin, she is out of our Buckskin stallion and our Cremello mare, I assumed she would stay Buckskin......what do you think???? I know these aren't the best pics, but she has a light spot on her back, but her butt/rump area is coming in dark.....

Here is a picture of her at a week.

1Filly.jpg

Here is her at 3 months.....

feather_cream.jpg

feather.jpg

feather1.jpg

foals.jpg

back1.jpg

back.jpg

Thanks!

If the mare is genetically a cremello, then bred to the buckskin you could only get a cremello, perlino, palomino, buckskin, or smokey black. Throw in that smutty gene (does the sire have it? ) and voila, you have your filly, a smutty buckskin! She may shed out lighter as a yearling, one of those wait and see what happens scenario. She is a pretty little girl regardless of color - enjoy!

Looks like winter coat coming into me!
new_shocked.gif
I'll bet she sheds out the pretty color she was before. My mare goes dark in the winter but is the prettiest gold color in the summer. You will have to post next year and let me know! hehe.

She's still Buckskin- The Perlino/ Cremello double dilute can "hide" quite a lot of "extras"
smile.gif

Her color looks nearly identical to how my buckskin mare, Khaki, looks. When she sheds naturally, you see the "smutty" parts but when I clip her, give her a couple days, and she is very dilute looking and stays that way. You can see the dark "under coat" as well when she's in her winter fur suit.

Khaki%20----%2005-02-2004%20011.jpg

JACK%20AND%20KHAKI%20--%2006262005%20--%201.jpg

Khaki--03-14-2004--2.jpg

kiss.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Here is what happened to our little guy two years ago. Dam is palamino, sire is a golden buckskin. THis is Banana Buck at a week old.[/SIZE]

fa0198b5.jpg

This is him 4 months later at his first show after being clipped.

fa01989c.jpg

He was 2nd out of 27 weanling colts and won the solid color class under judge Lee Crutchfield!

Now at 2 he is back to more of the golden color, darker than the first pic but wayyy lighter than the clipped pic. His new owners never show him....they havent even transfered him into their name and it has been 2 years! I will try to get a pic of him later in the week.

Lyn

Cowgirl, she looks just like my filly, Sugar. And she looks the same as my Latigo did when she was younger.

This is Sugar at birth....
f2de1bc6.jpg

And now at 4 months old

f2de1b17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
new_shocked.gif
WOW thanks everyone for the pics, I just expected her to stay the same, her sire is a light Buttermilk Buckskin, and dam is cremello, so where the smutty color is coming from I have no clue!!

Latest posts

Back