Books about harness and driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I would like to find a book or books about learnig the different parts of a harness, names of the parts and what they are used for. I am an avid reader and I think I can learn more by reading than any other way, can someone recommend a book like this they have read that really gets down to the meat of it, something that I can use as a reference tool. Thanks!

There are LOTS of books out there that deal strictly with harness and parts. I can't personally recommend any of them as by the time I got into wanting books I needed something more advanced, but one book that has good information with lots of pictures is "The Essential Guide to Carriage Driving" by Robyn Caffey and Jaye-Allison Winkel. Each harness part is named, its original and modern functions described, proper fit described, and then pictures of the various styles it can come in. Very thorough, very correct.

Good luck!

Leia

"Breaking and Training the Harness Horse", by Doris Ganton, is the best I have come across. It contains many good, simple pictures and explanations, and it doesn't try to baffle you will bull-poop...if ya get the drift.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It is very cheap to buy as well, wich is a definate bonus.
yes.gif
I have several other books, which cost LOTS more...but are so complicated, I almost needed a Philadelphia Lawyer to read them to me.
new_shocked.gif
ohmy.gif
biggrin.gif

Sounds like they both will be good to get. I really like the idea of pictures and I am not a Philadelphia Lawyer
biggrin.gif
so I will definately be looking that one up!

That was an interesting and informative site, I kept it in my favorites.

Back