Book discussion for "77 Shadow St".......**SPOILERS**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
If you have read this book, then please let us know what you thought of it. What was your overall opinion (likes/dislikes) of the story? This thread will be up for the remainder of this month and all of December, so that everyone who wants to participate, can.

**If you haven't read (or finished) this book, then you may want to stop reading here.**

I love Dean Koontz and think I've probably read everything he's written and loved most of it. I struggled with 77 Shadow St quite a bit. It's been awhile, so the ole memory isn't quite what it used to be. I do remember that I had no desire to finish it, so never did.

I read it when it first came out, but don't really remember all of it, as there are alot of characters, and a lot going on. The end was confusing, which is why I left the book out, instead of putting it on my bookshelf, so I could reread. Shame, but sometimes I need to read a book twice to understand it all! I was grateful when this one was picked, even though I voted for another, so maybe you guys can help me understand the end when we get to it. I'm only on chapter 12 right now, trying to take it slow, and ponder on the characters, trying to picture them more then the last time.

I'm getting ready to go out and do chores right now, but I did finish it yesterday (reading the novella right now). I'll get on later and give my review, but I just wanted to give you credit for reading it again. It took me two to three times longer then what I usually need to read a book. It wasn't a bad book, there was just so much (and yet not enough) going on.

Wow, where do I start? I had read reviews on this book and was leery about reading it. Mostly because the majority of people said that they couldn't get past the first 2/3 of the book.

I thought the book was good, not fantastic, but I did like it. My biggest problem was that every time I started to really connect with a character, or couldnt wait to find out what happened next, the scene totally changed to someone and something else. I did like that at times though, because it kept the suspense building and me interested in finding out what would end up happening.

I also loved how the chapters were short, so a lot of times I would read three or four chapters, quit to do something else, then come back to it. If I tried to push through more then a few chapters at a time, my mind would start wandering (never good when you're reading).

I think that he used way too much description at times - like someone else said here on a different thread, it seems like he added stuff to increase the word count. Which was fine because it blended in really well, but it also made the story stretch out....a lot.

I didn't mind so many characters. I think he did a great job at creating believeable lives for so many people.

The story reminded me of the movies "The Mist" and "Eagle Eye".

I loved the cats' names (Smoke and Ashes), and Winny's dog's name (Merle) - which happens to be my last name. Lol

Winny's experience with his tv really freaked me out because I had a bad experience that was very similar to his once (tv turning itself on several times and switching channels by itself, then it wouldn't respond to anything we did other then pulling the plug).

At first, the characters Witness and The One really confused me, which was driving me nuts everytime they spoke.

My biggest dislike was the concept of time travel. I hate things that deal with it, I really do. For instance, wouldn't changing the future and the existance of The One also change the past events of 1897, 1935, and 1973? If they changed the future to where The One never existed in the first place, then even with a time warp and if people still traveled between (and got stuck in) the different years, there wouldn't have been any monsters to "change" them. Mr. Pendleton's family never would have been infected with nanobots, therefore, their family mansion would have been passed down through family members (preventing the occurances in 1935 and 1973, and it from ever becoming a building complex where the story characters lived).
default_frusty.gif

What happens in the future now? Won't time still shift since there is still a time warp?

Why did Mickey Dime kill his brother? I think it said his brother was there to kill him, but I don't remember it ever saying why? I wish it would have ventured into what happened between them.

You brought up quite a few good points that bothered me also. Why did Mickey kill his brother? Also did any of the tenents live there in 1973? They would have been there for 2 jumps. In some areas the proof reading was terrible. There were a few sentences with way too many adjectives that made the sentence not make sense. But I did enjoy this book. The chapters were the right length so I could finish a few then walk away for awhile. The ending didn't answer all the questions of what and why things happened. I did like the kids and most of the other characters.

I read the second story as well. Now I am reading the book over again because it was such an easy read. On the whole I thought it was a good choice for our first book.

I think the building was being converted to an apartment complex in 1973, and that's why they had the working crew there. Was it the lead construction foreman who met up with Silas in the Topper's restaurant to tell him about what he experienced in 1973?

I have maybe 40 pages left in the novella, but so far I'm really liking it.

You are right! Just remembered the worker was lost. That's why I am re-reading the book, to catch what I forgot.

Well I haven't gotten to Winnys dog yet, but on the subject of why Mickey killed Jerry, I think he did it spur of the moment. At first it was like he thought Jerry was there to kill him, then he killed him first. Later he realized it was just a crime of passion, for no good reason except to kill. I'm in the chapter now where he is trying to get the body down. Not much time to read right now, been baking. The house smells good though, like spices, yum!

I'm not reading any of the other posts on this thread because I'm still really new into the book, but so far, I do like it and I think it is a lot "deeper" than many of the other DK books I have read.

Since it's not exactly a closely guarded secret that I can be a real dork, I wanted to share that the first night of listening to this book, I had drifted off to sleep and woke up to "One" (? name ?) talking for the first time. The narator makes his voice sound so evil and the words he was saying were pretty evil, too. So, okay, yeah... it scared me! LOL! I had to "flip it back" to my light and fluffy Victoria Laurie "Psychic Eye" book or sleep with the lights on!!! (but I love to be scared!)

Yeah! I just finished it! This is the second time I read it, and duh me, this time I understand about the blue light.
default_new_multi.gif

The blue light, at first I thought it was spirits, but soon realized it was some kind of magnitizium that was causing the time changes. Pleas excuse the misspellings as I have dial up and can't upload the spell check on here.

I have a question about the one, don't want to ruin it for those that haven't finished the book yet, but, was the ONE the mysterious bank of computers in the basement that was still there in the future but changed? Or do you have another explaination of the ONE?

That's how I thought of the blue light too. It was created from the shift of times merging together because of the magnetic force.

Yes, from what I understood, The One was a mega-computer that was in charge of the nanobots, except it started doing it's job too well.

I finished the book yesterday. I liked it in some ways, but felt it was too long and also had trouble connecting with so many characters. For the last half of the book, I turned the speed up on the naration to 2 and 3x usual to basically get through it... But just the same, I didn't NOT like it. I just was ready to see how it all shook out.

DK uses some of the same themes in this book as have come up in some of his other books (which I enjoyed much more), like evil of bioethics, the goodness in dogs, nanobots. Also, I don't think he can write a book w/o using the word "fronds" somewhere. I swear, I don't often hear or read that book unless he's the one talking LOL! Not that it's a theme, but it is something I always wait for and usually get from a DK book
default_biggrin.png

I think the characters I "liked" (was most interested in I mean) was probably Mickey Dime. It seems like he "developed" that character better or more deeply than some of the others. He was crazy and evil, but also I thought very interesting. It seemed like we saw the inside of his mind more so than the other (nicer / more likable) characters.

I didn't know that you could turn up/down the speed on an audio book. That is awesome! I have read three DK books now and had never noticed he used "fronds" in any of them. Lol.

Maybe that's what I felt was missing. I didn't feel really connected to any character in particular. If they died, it wasn't like a huge loss for me. I think I would have wanted to know more about the asian manager guy and his past with living in his country during/after the war.

My favorite character is Winny, he is relatable to me, absent father, not sure of himself, has a hard time speaking to others in order to convey his thoughts, but when the going got tough he reached inside of himself and found bravery and courage. I liked that he fought for Iris, and chalenged the monster.

What gets me is the fact that they still live in the Pendelton, I would haved moved, what is going to happen in another 38 years?

I was kinda sorry to see the Cupp sisters perish, I liked them.

Yes, exactly! The magnetic force that is accountable for the time travel wasn't controlled by The One, so that wouldn't stop even though The One technically now never existed (again, I hate the concept of time travel!). In another 38 years, there will still be another shift, right? What happens to the people who still live in the building? There is no way on earth I would have stayed living there, not even knowing that the future was changed!

Latest posts

Back