BOO Senior Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Stormy is out on dead winter pasture from 9-4pm with unlimited Timothy hay (and coastal, but they prefer the Timothy) about 3-4 pounds, he splits it with Breezy. No hay nets.

He is separated by himself and I do feed twice daily. This is the total of what I feed him daily:"
2 pounds Alfalfa hay
.5 pounds Strategy healthy edge
2 tsp Weight Accelerator
1/2 tsp Electrolytes

This reminds me of the rule of thumb for feeding full-size horses. They need 2 lb/100lb live weight.
so half of 4 lb Timothy & Coastal, 2.5 lb of fortifier looks like 4.5 lb - so if the rule applies to miniatures, Stormy would weigh about
225 lb. Just a rule of thumb - but what DOES Stormy weigh, I wonder?

150# sounds very light for 32.5" mini. My 31", slight build stallion is 175# give or take 5#, he stays about this weight; not in show shape, but not fat either. My 33" mares are over 250#.

I am taking him to the vet next week, so I will be getting her opinion for sure.
Being he likely still is in full winter woolies, be sure the vet lays his/her hands on him, and feels through the coat to help assess condition. They can be shockingly thin under a winter coat, and owners and vets alike can miss it just visually assessing them or just weighing them.

I know y’all have been worried sick and havent been able to sleep at night 🤣🤣 so I am happy to report that the vet did feel Stormy up and said he was in really good condition. I was trying to convince her that he was still a little thin and needed to gain some more weight and she said, nope he is perfect! Said I can cut back his alfalfa some in another month, after we get past winter. Woohoo! So now yall will be able to rest easy and sleep real good to night LOL! 🤣🤣

Vet guesstimated his weight at about 150-160 pounds, she doesnt have a scale to weigh him. That seems close to me since last year I did weigh him on an actual scale at a different vets office and he weighed 150 pounds then.

I really appreciate all y’all’s help and experience and input and opinions and … and everything! So thank each of you very much, you know who you are 💕💕

Stormy getting his teeth floated.
8C65A4E5-9796-46CC-A800-51C32EBE8226.jpeg
Notice his green eyeliner? LOL His little eye gets swollen sometimes so the vet put stuff in it. The green stuff was suppose to leak down and out his nose but it didn’t. So the vet squirted stuff up his nose and his eye started squirting water. Has anyone seen this? It was really cool! She called it something and of course i forgot… stuck up duct or something. IDK, but when I say squirting water, I mean SQUIRTING water, like when you put your thumb over the water hose and turn it on.… not just little drips out the eye. Next time I’ll try to get a video.

Terrific news, Kelly! Poor Stormy in the photo..that’s how I feel sometimes at the dentist. 🤣

You know, I can’t lie and say I was up all night 😂, but in a real way the horses on this forum become known to us bit by bit and their progress and problems become our concern. So, on this forum being a nosy neighbor is a sign of caring!🤣

Chandab, how did you know that terminology? 😊 Actually you really are a source of great information on a variety of topics and I think that is admirable. I need to pull out an old horse care book and brush up on anatomy for a start. It is good to know how things go together from the Keurig to the pony!

Chandab, how did you know that terminology? 😊 Actually you really are a source of great information on a variety of topics and I think that is admirable. I need to pull out an old horse care book and brush up on anatomy for a start. It is good to know how things go together from the Keurig to the pony!
Thank you.
While I did have to look up the spelling, I watch vet shows and seen the flushing procedure; and have read quite a few anatomy and health books. For some reason, some things stick with me.

I've had two that have needed their tear ducts flushed. One had a narrowed duct from a facial fracture and the other is Peanut who just gets gunky eyes once in awhile from allergies. The vets always seem to enjoy doing this procedure for some reason, probably because it's safe but looks impressive.

Stormy, Stormy, Stormy

He is just such a picky eater. I guess things will always be changing with him, IDK. Now he only want Timothy pellets in the morning and his grain only at night 🤷🏻‍♀️ He literally picks out what he wants and leaves the rest. A few months back he didn’t want any grass or alfalfa pellets and only grain. So as long as he is eating, I’ll just continue to give him what he wants. I guess he knows best. Maybe he just changes with the seasons? Anyone ever have such a picky little eater?

Might want to think about if he is really hungry enough for what you are feeding. Do you soak the pellets because if you do you would see how much food is actually going into his little tummy.
Also does he get hay. Pellets are a good source of food but hay is the roughage they need to clean their colon and tummies out.

In my experience picky eaters are either not hungry or ill.

Horses or any kind change with the weather. Hot they eat less as feed make heat in them as it is digested. They seem to know just how much of what to eat. Try cutting back until he cleans it all up then slowly ad until he is still being fed what you feel is his ration.

I'm going to throw this out because I just had some experience with the lack of appetite thing. Probably this has nothing to do with what's going on with your little guy, but have you had his liver enzymes checked? My pony kept going off his feed periodically. It would last maybe a day or two of picking and fussing with the vittles, eating just enough. We changed the hay, did the teeth, the usual stuff. Finally he quit eating. Bloodwork showed elevated liver enzymes and ultrasound found a blocked bile duct. Biopsy found something else (IDK the exact thing of the top of my head) that indicated chronic hepatitis probably from infection. Pony was treated with antibiotics 2 months and liver support supplements and is doing good now. Evidently lack of appetite can be symptom of liver issues and we missed it thinking it was his age, teeth and so on.

Nope, never really had anything ”checked” on him except his yearly “checkups”.

Stormy might be the COOLEST horse on the planet but he is easily distracted and the BLONDEST horse on the planet!!

Here is how my morning/evening feedings go…
I feed everyone. Everyone is so excited to get their food! Everyone scarfs down food in less that 5 seconds excepts Stormy. Stormy gets distracted very easily. I have to make an effort NOT to distract him or it will take all day/night for him to eat.

Stormy: Takes a bite of food and thinks… yeah, I’ve had this before. Wish Mom would give me something more interesting. Hey, what’s that over there? Hmmm, wonder what that is!? What the heck is that? Hmmm… what was I doing?? I can’t remember what I was doing… let me see?? Well, I need to poop now, so I guess I will poop. 💩💩

Me 20 minutes later: Stormy? Are you about finished with breakfast/dinner? Uggg! Would you please go eat your food!

Stormy: oh! Hi Mom! Whatcha doing? I love your new skirt! Can I eat it?

Me: No! You can not eat my skirt but you can eat your food! Go eat!!!

Stormy munch: Thunder! Hey bro! What’s up?? Wish Mom would let you out of your stall so we can play!

Me: Ugggg Stormy! Stop talking to Thunder and go eat!

Stormy: Uggg Mom, I’m trying to keep my boyish figure! I can’t possibly eat ALL that food you gave me, seriously! Look at that butterfly! So pretty! Can I come out now & play with my brothers? Please Mommy!

And this is how our morning/evenings go for about an hour or so….and he doesn’t really get that much food. I have learned not to distract him or it will take him forever to eat. He does LOVE alfalfa in the winter time but that too takes FOREVER for him to eat 🤣🤣 He is the perfect weight right now but I am trying to fatten him up a little before winter gets here but its hopeless 🤣🤣 oh and between 2pm and about 5pm forget it! Stormy is having his afternoon siesta!!🤣🤣 I have never had a horse that puts himself in “timeout” for his afternoon naps! What a weirdo 🤣🤣 LOVE HIM! ♥️♥️♥️

Here he is in “timeout” 🤣🤣
449D243D-7013-4895-8BC0-CB85301411EA.jpeg

Love your stories and your photos of your pony adventure! 💕

I love everyone’s stories and photos! 😂 It is fascinating to see where you all work, play, and glow.😁

Stormy looks great, but I do understand your concern and like Cayuse‘s thoughts. Horses are constantly stretching our brains for better or worse!

If Stormy has no special issues, what would happen if he had less exercise? Speaking for myself, when winter hits, my exercise changes and a “pound or two” always sneaks on. 😂 Then spring/summer improves that just in time for next winter! 😜

Latest posts

Back