Quantcast

Boo Hoo I am not getting my driving mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

zoey829

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
6
I found a nice pair of driving mares. We could drive single or double. She emailed me saying she would take 2500 for the pair. I said OK. Then when I talked to her to confirm everything she said she got the pair mixed up and could only take 3000.00 for both ( she was asking 3200.00). SO I said I had to think about it and I would email her. Later I said I could only do 2500.00, Because with gas and over night stays it is going to cost me a lot (not that it is her fault).

I have not heard back from her and it has been a day. Should I email her again or just let it go!!!
 

Betty B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Let it go as she may be thinking about it. Maybe she will split the difference with you.
 

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
27,182
Reaction score
525
Location
Spotsy., VA (USA)
If it's meant to be, it will be. I'm happy when I find ONE mare I like for that price
 

disneyhorse

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
5,382
Reaction score
191
I would continue to negotiate with her, perhaps she is just thinking about it. Maybe you can negotiate to $2750 or something and meet in between. It's a buyers' market right now, but without seeing the horses I think either price sounds fairly reasonable to me for two broke horses.

Good luck, and keep trying if you really like them.

Andrea
 

bingo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
Wasting away in Margaritaville
Guess it really depends on how badly you want them. $3000.00 is a good price for 2 horses no matter what sex that are broke to drive single and team and safe.
 

eagles ring farm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
7,037
Reaction score
208
Location
cedarville new jersey 08311
:arg!

decisions are so hard sometimes

I agree its a good price for 2 broke horses

but also agree to wait for a reply from the seller

possibly she will meet you part way

I'm pullin for ya


Lori
 

zoey829

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
6
She got back.... she said no. She wont budge!!! 3000.00!!! or nothing!!!!
 

dreaminmini

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
3
Location
Toronto, Canada
Looks like you have a decision to make.


It sounds like a fairly good price to me, considering you get two and they are already trained. Have you seen pics or visited them in person? Do you feel they are worth the money? How much do you really like them?

Good luck with your decision
I'm sure ti will work out for the best!
 

zoey829

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
6
I have plans to go down and see them. But the price of gas has to be considered. Ugh!
 

Sterling

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
6,044
Reaction score
12
Location
Southern, NJ
Will she let you do the $2,500 and the rest in say....5 month payments? Maybe work out a contract deal? Good luck I hope everything works out for you.
 

RobinRTrueJoy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
2,441
Reaction score
1
Sterling's idea is good. Maybe pay the $2500 outright and the rest in monthly payments... and take the mares home with you so there is no extra trip. Since you are going to see them, make her harness them up and give them a drive. Another thing.... maybe as a bargaining tool.... since she won't budge on the price, get her to pay to register them Pinto then you could show them pinto. (edited to say...It all depends, if they are safe, sane experienced driving horses that make you feel comfortable and safe driving them and if you will enjoy them, then if $3000 is kind of ok with you, then go for it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
27,182
Reaction score
525
Location
Spotsy., VA (USA)
Oh, I didn't realize they have no AMHR or AMHA papers...

My advice honestly is to keep looking. There are so many driving horses out there and even if you don't want to now, in the future you may want to show your driving horse, or breed to have a foal...

If I were willing to consider a non-registered driving horse though, I'd pick a gelding. Much more mellow and I'd not want to put up with "mare issues" if I couldn't / wouldn't breed her (and I wouldn't breed a miniature w/o papers).
 

Royal Crescent

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
647
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
I am confused..I did not see that they have no papers? Is that true? If they really match well and have papers, I think $3000 is not such a bad price. If no papers, then I would probably keep looking unless they are exceptional and can be hardshipped.
 

zoey829

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
6
I will not breed them. I am not interested in breeeding them. The only reason I dont want a gelding is because of my stallion. I can sep him from those 2 mares fine. But even if I sep him from a gelding it would be constent pacing and stallionish behavors.
 

gorgeous

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
There are still plenty of great driving pairs out there that have papers and are well broke and beautiful. At a recent sale we bought a pair of palomino geldings who are 6 yrs. old, A and R registered, 30.5 and 31 inches tall, half brothers, broke by an Amish man/well broke, including their leather parade harness with lots of spots for 1750.00$. Keep looking. I realize we stole them and they are absolutely wonderful. I have found out however, there are not many show A or R that have team driving classes so showing them is going to be challenging at best. We have surely had fun with them here on the farm and I am looking forward to getting them in some parades.
 

Ronnie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2002
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Ther is a good team of driving horses coming to the Mount Airy Miniature Horse Sale on July 19th. They will also have team harness and a wagon.
 

Charley

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
2,048
Reaction score
271
I have a stallion and he gets along great with our geldings. I guess it all depends on their individual personalities...same with mares. I have had a couple boss mares that would not give dominance to another.

If I were in your situation, I would sit back and really think on this. If I could afford the $3000 purchase, the cost of vet, farrier and feed for two additional horses, and have the time to spend with two driving horses without taking away from the other horses, I would go and look at them. If I could not comfortably afford the cost or the time, I would pass on them. If this involves selling horses to have time or room, I would definitely sell the horses I already have before I bought any.

That said, I would be prepared to drive them and spend time with them to see if they are "meant to be mine" horses. If they would fit in with my desires. You may get there and find them to be different than you envisioned.

Good luck with your decisions. Take your time and make sure they are right for you and that you can afford them and have time for them.

I have been to a few of Ronnie's auctions. The driving horses I have seen there, have been driving around before the auction so you can ask questions if you are interested in them. Also the people you meet there may have others that they would consider selling. It is a great place to meet other mini owners and mini sellers and trainers.
 

Sanny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
788
Reaction score
0
Location
Orono, MN
I didn't read all the posts, but I did just notice that they don't have papers? Whether or not that matters to you depends if you ever think you will show and whether or not it would be worth it to spend the additional money to hardship them if you wanted to (keeping in mind they are mares and would cost more to hardship.) If they were registered I'd think $3,000 was a pretty good deal if they are well-trained AND drive single or double but not having papers does limit you and I know a lot of people that bought unregistered horses or bred horses and never registered them because they "were not interested in showing" and eventually they decided they wanted to show after all but then couldn't show the horses they had without spending more money to hardship them or they ended up buying registered horses to show.

ANOTHER OPINION THOUGH.....It may be a buyers market, but what I am seeing is nice horses that have no training that are going cheap even if they have papers and the ones that have good solid training - especially driving horses - are the horses getting better prices. I can tell you a very specific example. We went to an auction this year - with no intention of buying - and one of the highest selling horses was a horse broke to drive that was line driven into the ring and the horse went for $1,000. At the same sale, we bought a healthy, well-cared for horse (NOT a rescue) that was a very flashy color, fancy mover and was double registed for $35....yes......$35. He had a couple of problems going for him. The farm he came from needed to cut back on horses and because he was still a stallion (and acted like one) they let him go cheap instead of doing a "no-sale" even though he was worth more. He also hadn't been worked with at all and was barely halter broke. We brought him home, gelded him and we are working with him on jumping and I've started working him in a bitting rig and he is going to be a great driving horse and a good all-round youth gelding and it turns out he has a very sweet personality. I guess what I am saying is good driving horses are worth spending more on. I'd want to see them and drive them both before I decided to buy them though unless you can talk to someone that has driven or worked with the horses (not the seller though, someone else.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top