BONNIE - Do you mind sharing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
IN YOUR REPLY TO THE FLY SPRAYING QUESTION YPU MENTIONED A STOCK YOU BUILT FOR SPRAYING, DOCTERING AND WASHING. DO YOU MIND DESCRIBING HOW YOU BUILT THIS. SUCH AS SIZE AND WHAT IS IS BUILT OF. THANKS

I will post a pic for you also!

shyconfo032.jpg

shylegconfo037.jpg

I dont know the exact dimensions. My hubby built it custom to fit Shy. I do know that the floor is made with land scape timbers on the ground with 2x6 on top to form the floor. The posts go through into the ground and are 4x6. The side rails are 2x6 and the top is 2x4. We used a black cotton rope to cross tie her head and we used a black cotton rope to place behind her back side. We cut out a board that slips in and out to use as a rail in the front.

This stock was very helpful as my girl had a horrible leg wound and we used it daily for about 6 months. Great also for baths ( as you can see) and any shots or needs. We even used it to help her get used to the farrier. ( she was a rescue and had huge trust issues)

Any more questions just ask!

That looks pretty neat Bonny! Is it slick when it gets wet? I have seen something similar to that on a rise for the mini's so you don't have to bend and can clip. I think the Knutson's in South Dakota have something like that.

I wanted to say also that I posted it big so you could see detail.
default_wink.png

As for it getting slick when wet, it did, not horribly but we drilled holes in the floor, you can sort of see it, that let the water drain through. Also we thought one of those stall mats with the holes would make it safer and less slippery. But again this one was built specifically for her and she is 15.2 hh. It wouldnt hold my little Bonny!
default_biggrin.png

I forgot to mention that the posts for the frame ( the 4x6's) were buried in the ground almost 2 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there is a way / if it is okay to change the topic title to "Mini Stocks / Wash Rack Pictures"? I'm thinking a lot of people who would like to see this won't click here because they don't realize what it's about.

Yay
happy0064.gif

Looks like the topic's changed now and I bet a lot of us are going to be making something similar -- or asking our husbands if they will
happy0144.gif

I am so glad yall like it.
default_yes.gif

It helped greatly when ShyAnne hurt her leg and having her controlled while I worked helped her gain trust in me.

We even used it this year to palpate ShyAnne.

Hubby was so sweet to build it for me!

This is really cool. I would love to have my dad make this for me. (On a raised platform for the little ones!)
default_biggrin.png

My minis don't really like bathes... what are the chances of them hurting themselves in something like this though?
default_unsure.png

The vet is the one who suggested that We build it. I have had it over a year and my mare never has hurt herself. I think if you use a stall mat on the bottom, to prevent slipping, it is very safe. But as with anything I guess an accident can happen.

You just have to build it in proportion to your minis.

My mare was very excitable, and yet in the stock she was relaxed.

I love the cross tie on the front! That is a great idea!

I am going to have to borrow that one....

LOL, we actually added the cross tie after she had her only fit in there. She was pawing and then she reared up and knocked the top board off. That alone stopped the fit, but we decided to add the cross ties to prevent any further incident.

The ties also keep he head still when you give shots and keeps her from turning in the stall.

Just so you know the board in the front just rests there so when your done you just unhook the cross ties lift the board out and the horse can walk out, no backing required.
default_yes.gif

Be carful, We have one of these that is made just for minis and almost killed a horse in it. We had everthing right short ties, non slip floor, ( a wet wood floor can be very slippery.). the horse hurt her head, cut leg to the bone ended up on her back, and in try tp keep her from getting hurt I tore up a hand pretty good. If you have a calm horse that will stand for anything these are great, other wise I wouldn't use one. I tore ours down never to be used again.

THis needs to be added to the Best Of The Miniature Horse Forum. That is a great idea.

my hubby took a wood pallet-put left over rubber on the floor and built rails on the front and sides- that way I can tie the little beggers down to bath..........we leave it in their paddock area and they think it's a play toy...........

Be carful, We have one of these that is made just for minis and almost killed a horse in it. We had everthing right short ties, non slip floor, ( a wet wood floor can be very slippery.). the horse hurt her head, cut leg to the bone ended up on her back, and in try tp keep her from getting hurt I tore up a hand pretty good. If you have a calm horse that will stand for anything these are great, other wise I wouldn't use one. I tore ours down never to be used again.
I am so sorry to hear this. It reminds me of a girl whose horse slipped in a trailer and was severely injured.

Not from slipping but the fight to get on his feet.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back