Body Clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
While we were at the show this weekend this lady came up to me and asked if I knew anyone that body clips minis. This lady was dressed to the nines. I told her that there was someone advertising locally that body clips for $130.00. She said "he is only a mini and he is an angle". Now I have a friend that is a dog groomer and she charges $80 for a standard poodle. Does this lady think someone is going to go use their blades, clippers, Bath the horse and spend about 4 hours for nothing? I guess she just spent too much at Macy's to afford to clip her horse.

LOL Well she has the same option every one else has, she can pay the going rate or do it herself. Nothing like doing it yourself to make the price seem cheap. hahaha Or maybe she'd discover she loved doing it and then SHE could do it for others, do you think she'd charge less? ;)

I was quoted once for $35 a clip if I had all four minis done at once. I clipped one of our stallions this past week, I would charge about $130 as well. But in my area I am sure its going to more around the $35 mark.

I just paid $50 for a 7 pound Yorkie to get clipped off. Just like a lot of people. She is probably wanting something for nothing.

About 12 years ago I used to charge people $50 for minis and my main client would bathe them herself and blow dry them ha ha. I guess if you havent done it before you dont know what a killer it can be! :DOH!
default_biggrin.png

I am a professional dog groomer and I am located in Maryland (USA).. To give you an idea..

For a Shih-Tzu, Yorkie, Maltese or similar breed we charge $45-$50.00.

Just to bathe a Golden Ret. or German Shepherd we charge $45-$50.00..

A Standard Poodle (no fancy clip) we charge $66.00.. however our basic shave downs, think Golden Ret., larger mix breeds, Collies, etc. we charge $60.00 to $150.00..

Bring me a big, big dog like a Newfie, etc. and your bill is easily $150-$200.00..

Being a dog groomer all day I would LOVE to pay someone to shave down my minis and I'd gladly pay the price to get it done.. haha..
default_wacko.png

Ya know, for all of you who think $130 is a reasonable price for clipping one mini, I'd be HAPPY to come help you out!
default_new_rofl.gif
Good lord, I could pay for a set of Double K's after two or three horses. Heck, I don't make that much in a day here at the hospital!
default_new_shocked.gif
Nope, no way. My money is far more valuable to me than my time (trust me, I have far more time than money) and maybe I'm crazy but I actually rather enjoy the time spent defuzzing my horse.
default_wub.png
I wouldn't pay $50 to have a dog clipped either but then again I haven't had a haircut myself in about 18 months so I guess I can't say much.
default_rolleyes.gif
Hehehe.

Signed,

The Hairy Cheapskate (aka Leia)

Well, I don't know... She maybe doesn't realize how back breaking it is to clip a mini BUT I'd take the fact that she was "dressed to the nines" more as an indication she's got money and knows what is worth it to her to spend it on, vs. that she spent it all at a department store
default_biggrin.png

There is BIG difference between HAVING money and DECIDING to spend it on something. Maybe it's simply not worth it to her to spend $130 on clipping. I can afford $130 for someone to clip my horse BUT, for the price, I'd rather do it myself.

What I find is that people who have money often have it because they spend it wisely.

At congress a friend of mine paid i think $25 for a trainer to clip their shetland. Now i think that is a tad low,

Look at the trainers websites, most charge per clip for each show and have that clipping fee listed on their training page. I think most charge anywhere from $40-$70 per clip.

A good clip will take you 2 - 3 hours, a clipper blade costs about $29. I would charge $50 - $60 personally, to me that seems reasonable. I would not take advantage of someone because they look wealthy. Clipping the minis is a back breaking and dirty job.

Check out trainers fee's and see what they are charging
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back