body clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a few horses to a show soon.

I know they need to be body clipped.

I was thinking I'd have to do it soon so thier color comes back. One's a buckskin, and ones a pinto.

How soon do I clip? The buckskin is 4 and has very nice coat, brite yellow with brown points now
wub.gif
I hate to clip him and end up with a dull cream and tan.

If I clip today will the color come back by the 27th?

But I'm afaid the pinto will get sun bruned if I clip too soon.

When do you all clip?

If they have not been clipped this year yet or since early spring they will lose some color.

As the show season goes on and I clip several times, I find I can even clip the day before and the color is there.

Although I like the intense color I prefer the benefits of clipping close to a show to show muscle definition and tightness rather than a pretty color if I have to choose. Clip now and see how fuzzy they are before the show, if you do have to clip again the color will not be so washed out the second time you clip. Yes the pinto may need to have sunscreen sprayed on him or only let him out when the sun is not intense.

Local shows 3-4 days out, World and Nationals 2 days out.

my black needs to be 2 weeks before his colour comes back.. but hes old & his hair takes longer to grow back.. i would say 10 days befor the show for you buckskin.. & 7 or 5 days befor for your pinto
yes.gif

you may want to clip soon(tomorrow) & let that hair grow a little, so that you can see for your self about their colours.. & then clip closer to the show.

Good Luck!

ps don't leave any clipper marks!
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back