Boarding Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a while since I came and asked for advice, but I have a doozy for you. Received a phone call tonight about someone wanting to board an older standardbred here (17) year old gelding. They have phoned everyone in the area about boarding and everyone has turned them down. I have a stall here suitable for a large horse (10X20'X8'), but at the moment it is concrete and shavings. I have the rubber matting, but it is in a roll that needs a tractor to budge--(and it's going to need something heavy duty to cut it). The stall is gated, but the gate will have to be raised, as it is at mini height at the moment. They will be providing hay, etc. I will be providing full board at cost.

The people still have not bought this horse though. They are trying to cover all bases before purchasing him. I could us the extra income, but don't want to expose my miniatures to danger. The two I have, have been with a big horse, but even that made me leery even though they all got along.

If this did happen, I am hoping someone has a boarding contract I could use as a template. I know I can use the other 6 acres of field on the opposite side of my minis pasture to house this horse. The only con about that side of the fence is there is no shelter, and something would have to be set up.

Thank you in advance. They are coming out on Saturday to check out our place, so I am hoping for good thoughts and a solution.

There are pictures of my stalls at the end of this photo album, and my horrid fences all around. I put electric around the inside (4 and 5 strands). Hard to see in the photos, and yes--some of the posts do need replacing. The fences belong to our landlord. I hope these people see the light and run for the hills,,(ha-ha).

Pictures of the minis/field/barn

(Can you tell we want to own our own place?)
default_biggrin.png
--Still not sure about boarders though--and how much would I charge per month-$150.00?(full board).

Kim.

UPDATE:

The young girl and her father came to see my setup today. The girl loves the place, and I just couldn't say no. I'll only be charging $150.00 a month, but they will have to provide their own hay/farrier/vet/deworming/etc. They are also only going to look at the horse tomorrow, plus they have no hay as of yet, and they need to borrow a trailer.

I hope i'm making the right decision. The girl had already called 8 people who all said no, and we gave them a list of another 7 people they could try just in case. Hubby said he felt like a tour guide, and once again we were asked what made us get into miniature horses. I'm still wondering why they are buying a horse in December during a cold snap (-10 celsius to -18)--brrr.

They said they will keep in touch, so i'm sure i'll be providing future updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandma has boarded for as long as I can remember,she's made alot of friends. She had 1 bad experience,but we had a bad feeling from this lady from the beginning. She charges $100.00 a month hay included. They have tons of pasture,shelter,she helps with appts. if you can't be there. They also have around 150 acres to ride on with an outdoor arena.We're in Indiana and she has a sign posted,for liability. Being the trustworthy person she is she never had a contract made. I'm not going to go into it but the lady tried suing and my grandma won. I guess my advice would be cover your bases the best you can,go with your gut. My grandma continues to board,and loves the horses and her boarders.I think it would be great if you could meet the horse to,it's history,illness,bad habits etc.I wish you luck
default_saludando.gif

I believe in "trusting your feeling" with people, and i'll see what transpires. We are way too laid back here to stress about this sort of thing anyways. Things seem to fall into my lap anyways. Both my mini horses were acquired via a phone call. I wasn't even looking for a mini horse both times, but I wanted one
default_rolleyes.gif
. The odd part was I plugged in our land line that hasn't been plugged in for the past year. My cell phone had no service, so that is why I had plugged it in.

Maybe it's meant to be. We'll see on Saturday.
default_saludando.gif

EDIT:--I believe in helping out someone who needs help, as others have helped me. I truly stand by paying it forward
default_smile.png
. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a fiasco either
default_rolleyes.gif

Just be sure to charge enough so you don't lose money.Big horses eat lots of hay in cold weather.Are you the one who will be out there is freezing cold and pouring cold rain taking care of the horse and making sure it has unfrozen water to drink?I board 2 Minis here and charge $250 each per month which includes worming and farrier and I don't feel guilty at all.I am also getting a large horse to board(she buys feed and hay) I provide housing and some feedings.She will help with some of the feedings of my 10 Minis. Writing a check each month is the real easy part of horse boarding.Good luck whatever you decide-just protect yourself in the contract.Be specific about vet care and your ability to call a vet if necessary,

Hay was discussed over the phone, and they will provide that as well as any other cost that incurs with owning a horse. It's their responsibility to take full 'upkeep' care/farrier/vet/deworming/etc. I feed/muck out and provide it with plenty of fresh clean warm water and any special needs. If they don't agree to that, then I won't accept the horse.

I figure if you own it, you care for it in every way you can for that animal's well being. If you cannot, then you shouldn't own it. I'll provide board and the best love and care I can, but it's partnership none the less .

I actually like exposing my minis to big horses provided they are at a safe distance. I think they are being very responible to be looking at bording places before the horse is purchased, I would want responsible people bording with me. I had a female border (young girl) with a Feiberger Swiss Army Horse, I should have gone with my first impression of her. She was an idiot. From my expierence this is what I would do next time. Have your expectations down in writing, cleaning , keeping shots and de worming up to date the food she will be providing etc.. I would not allow a border to have anyone she wants to come over and take care -ride her horse. This young girl had a friend that was always over and she left her child in the stroler in my pasture with my minis all the time...so even if the owners of the horse know better , it doesnt mean the friends know better, also it is your living environment, not a place for all the friends to hang out and invade your privacy. Sit down , talk with her , get to know how she cares for her horse, and see if it works with your style. Mostly make sure she understands your house rules, and that your miniature horses safety comes first. The local Office Depot will have many contracts and forms available as a guideline, and these forms will hold up in court should there be a problem. It might be real nice to have someone around, maybe she will be someone to one day look after your horses should you ever go away for a long weekend.

Boarding a horse is a big responsibility. In a sense where you want to charge enough to cover your insurance (liability while on your proprty, while they are riding, will they have friends come and visit, do they have little kids that will irritate your minis, etc. Hay/Grain (if they run out, and have to use yours) water, your time. I would charge at least $250.00 that seems to be the norm around here and that is pasture board for a decent place. Figure out a cost per day if that helps. You can write up your own contract and remember to put in:

Deposit for stal//pasture (non-refundable if not given 30 days notice) require they provide hay and whatever your talked with them on the phone, if your want to have specific hours they can come. Requirements to have the horse on your property (proper shots, coggins etc.) Vet care - if there is an emergency who will call the vet (stupid I know but you never know with people)and for after care like changing wraps, dispensing shots, who will be taking care of that, Will you charge them if they can't take care of the horse per day.? You can nickle and dime but usually if you spell it out in a contract at least all your basis are covered. Fencing and that your horses will be seperate from theirs.

Lots to think about, it is nice to have extra cash, but sometimes, the extra worries that comes with boarding isn't worth it. JMO, Good Luck and I hope it works out for all.

250. per month ? WOW, thats really good , I was quoted 1,600. CHF per month to bord my mini and put her in training 2 times a week..I said no thank you she can stay at home , and forgo the training in Dec and Jan.

When I boarded my big horses (until this past spring) I paid $250 a month which included 2 scoops of senior feed twice a day ($18 a bag) and about a bale of hay per day. Also included them mucking the stalls and watering my horse. They had an indoor arena, outdoor arena, and heated bathroom, and a nice tack room. The downfall was limited turnout.

They wormed all of the horses in the barn on the same schedule, but you had to pay for the wormer. They also arranged for the farrier every 6 weeks, but again, you pay for it.

Most stables in my area offer about the same thing for full board and charge between $200 and $350

I updated in my original post. That's most likely one update of many to come.

Edited to kick myself for not charging more. When I stated $150.00 they looked at me like I was from another planet and 'seemed' to accept it. Hubby wanted $250.00 per month, but if they provide everything and all I do is feed/muck and water it shouldn't be too bad. We are also discussing insurance and liability. That is # 1 besides the fact that this is my private home, and I fear what this new horse may do to my minis. They have been housed with my quarterhorse who I sold this spring, but I didn't even trust that. It seems like the girl will be here every 2 days or more also.

In my own humble opinion, I think these people are new to horses, and have a heck of a lot to learn about owning one--(I got that vibe). I had to stop the girl from hugging and patting Buddy's behind. She didn't seem to take his ears back as a threat. I don't know. The more I think about it.....hmmmm. We'll see I guess.

I have to add that I am not advertising,nor was I looking for a boarder. I hope i'm not breaking forum rules/etc by discussing my situation. I am not a boarding barn or choose to be one.

Kim.

I think you need to check the stables in your area that do board and find out what they offer and how much they charge for big horses. A big horse that is not an easy keeper can eat a LOT of hay and feed during winter months. We don't currently board, but we did agree to board a mini for someone for a while that was in a bind and couldn't find a place for him and we charged 275 a month which they were very grateful for because they had checked around and all the boarding places charged the same for a mini that they charged for a big horse. We do live in an area that boarding stables have waitlists for openings and depending on the amenities offered, most stables get anywhere from $350-$700 a month for big horses depending on whether it was basic pasture board with shelter or more -- the highest prices though have the luxury extras like heated indoor arenas, trails, trainer on site, deluxe stalls, etc.

We included a stall, feed, hay and daily turnout. They paid for supplements, farrrier, vet, shots, etc. I did require required they keep a current coggins and all the same shots our show horses got. They were great boarders and usually the whole family came together to visit their mini and they would sometimes clean all our stalls and help out with other chores just because they liked being involved.

Latest posts

Back