Boarding 101 For Newbies --> The Do's & Dont's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have never boarded a horse before, big or small, and I have a few questions. I will be taking my two "big boys" to a boarding facility on October 6th that is privately owned and where the owner lives on the property. It is a small facility with 6 horses currently boarding there, and they can house 9 total (of course, including my two boys). In preparation for this, my two boys will be going to the vet on September 8th to get a new coggins, health certificate and their yearly shots and will be wormed a week prior to their arrival there.

This facility is a co-op barn where the boarders there rotate feedings. I am paying $150 per month per horse which includes the "stall rental" (very nice new stalls too), turnout and bringing in and a boarder feeding them twice daily (of course unless it is my day to feed all the horses). I will be traveling out atleast once per day, probably twice per day on the weekends, to feed my own even though they could do it - I am in the habit of doing it for the past 10+ years and don't see a need to stop. I will be providing their grain, dewormer, hay, shavings, etc. and basically I am "renting" their stalls and my storage space.

Seeing as I have never boarded my horses before, I would appreciate some "do's and dont's" of the boarding world. I talked with the owner and another boarder there and everyone is friendly and all of their horses are pretty much like mine, laid back and friendly. Strict rules of cleanliness, care of horse, feeding schedules and care/maintenance policies are in place and they have really done a good job in my opinion.

Some questions that I have are:

1. Should I purchase some type of name plate to place on front of the stall for identification purposes? They don't require one but I think it would make me feel better...
  2. Should I have all blankets and halters monogrammed to prevent stealing or misplaced items?
  3. Since one of my horses is a liquid supplement that must be drawn from the syringe - should I just make sure that I administer it once daily to him and make sure they know not to administer?
  4. For my feeding directions that I must leave at the barn, should I just go ahead and have them covered with plastic so they won't get damaged?

I know I am probably forgetting something but I am sure someone will remind me. Thanks so much guys!

A name plate wouldn't hurt. Same with laminated instructions such as feed and care, along with phone numbers for your vet/farrier and emergency contact info. In an emergency it's nice to have it right there in a few places.

I haven't had a lot of stealing in the many places I've boarded, but a locked tack trunk might discourage "borrowing" which drives me up the wall.

As for medications and supplements... I always do it myself. That way I know it's done right, even if it means going to the barn twice a day for meds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I typically put my instructions in a plastic sheet protector. I always have a name plate with my info, ICE, vet, and farrier

I would do all my meds/supps at least at first until you are comfy and know the people who would help you.

In a barn that small I highly doubt theft/misplace will be an issue

Yes I would highly recommend getting a locked tack trunk and putting your name on EVERYTHING! Blankets, buckets, fly spray, ect... But I think everyone else has petty much covered what you should do.

We used to put small "white boards" on our stall doors with markers attached to leave each other notes. Name of horse, owners name, vet and emergency numbers all need to be on the door too, but not where they can be erased. I wouldn't worry about having everything monogrammed but a blanket bar and hanger for the halter/lead should be on the door. Leads might tend to travel to another door, but easily found if it is just a case of someone grabbed the wrong one.

Yes the whiteboard sounds like a wonderful idea!! But if you have a nice expensive blanket please put your name on it somewhere, even if it's on the inside!!

I work at a boarding stable with big horses, and find most people are considerate and don't use others stuff. I would suggest putting your name on everything so if for example you ask them to fly spray your horses before turn out, it's easy to figure out which one is yours/where to find your things. On blankets and sheets but your name and the horses name, it's easier if you ask someone else to do it.

I do supplements, but not all medication, it's up to the owner and what they prefer with other people feeding. We have note cards in ziplock sandwich bags in the feed (grain) bins with the feeding instructions/amounts for each horse.

We had our brushes sitting by our horses and people would just go and use your stuff and we found one of our brushes just ruined so I suggest putting your name on every piece of grooming equipment you can, unless you don't mind sharing!

Latest posts

Back