Blue eyes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of minis that have blue eyes. Their eyes are starting to get gunky and watery.
ohmy.gif

What can I do to fix this and is it weather related, sun? Oh they all have run- ins they can go into during the day.

They also have long manes that sticks in their eyes, I know it can help with bugs and the sun but should it be trimmed so its not quite so long?

Thank you in advance!

This could be alot of things from blocked tear ducts to conjunctivitis to allergies to flies to dust.

Trimming the forelock and putting on a fly mask will help in some instances. You can flush the eyes also to help. If it is conjuntivitis or blocked tear ducts a vet would be needed.

No idea of the cause?

jennifer
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This might sound stupid to some, but is a thought I had years ago. Blue eyes in people........People with blue eyes FIRST came from Northern countries like Norway and such that is white with snow. Huskeys that are sled dogs have blue eyes. I think that is from nature to reflect the glare from snow and ice. And people with brown eyes came from lower, warmer countries like Mexico. Brown eyes to absorb the bright sun. That said, I don't know why Eskimos have brown eyes LOL.

All I know is my hubby has brown eyes and has no trouble with his eyes in bright sun but with my blue eyes, I have to wear sun glasses or I can't see!

I am NOT saying this goes for every person or every horse, just that these are my thoughts and observations.

Once we started getting horses with blue eyes, I noticed that their eyes tend to water in the Summer (bright sun) and the dust clings to the tears they shed. This does not happen to our brown eyed horses. When we got Lotto home, he had no forelock left from his show trim and his eyes watered, but it has grown back now and shields his eyes from the bright sun and his eyes don't cry any more.

justjinx had good info you might look into.
yes.gif
I think a fly mask is a good idea!

My blue eyed horse's eyes water around this time of the year, vet says allergies (ragweed)....I don't really contribute it to the blue eyes, but maybe it does have something to do with it.

Thanks guys, I don't know why but all of my horses with blue eyes are that way.

Maybe it is the sun?

The new ones weren't until they had been here about a week.
sad.gif

I own a blue eyed horse and his forelock goes to the end of his nose and covers his eyes He doesn't seem to have a problem with his eyes. My friend used to own a pinto mare with blue eyes she had a bald face her eyes were very sensitive and would run alot she didn't have a long forelock. I had a shetland at our place last year and she had blue eyes with white around the eyes She was also very sensitive. My little stallion doesn't have white around his eyes maybe it has someting to do with white around thier eyes I"ve noticed that those type of horses also squint alot. Thats just my opinion and from what I've seen.

VernB, that's what I was trying to say
smile.gif

Lotto doesn't have eye liner and his eyes teared up until his forelock grew out. You know how football players smear black under their eyes to cut down the sun glare? I thought of doing that for Lotto!

I have a sorrel mare that has blue eyes and she is sorrel all around her eyes and has eye liner (no bald face) and her blue eyes don't do that. I think it is the big white with and the sun's glare causing trouble.
yes.gif

A fly mask would be good to keep flys from being attracted to the tears. Keep dust out and serve as sunglasses too
flirt.gif

I have lots of blue eyed horses here. Most of them have no problem with the sun or their eyes. The only one that has a problem is one little solid white medicine hat mare. The sun bothered her eyes so much so that my vet was afraid she would get cancer, if I didn't get her some sun protection. I ordered her a fly mask and it has worked wonders! It gives her approx 75% sun protection, so it's just like wearing sun glasses for her. No more problems with her eyes as long as she wears her fly mask everyday!

Latest posts

Back