Blue eye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tami

Reaction score
I had a filly born Friday night that is a solid black with one blue eye......which gene causes blue eyes? Sire is sold black and dam is a cremello tobiano. But her sire may have been a splash?

Funny you should ask... Until the splash gene test came out recently, a lot of people would probably have said blue eyes (not from double dilutes) were from either frame or splash pinto genes. But several of us had minis tested that were negative for BOTH frame and splash and still have blue eyes. Here is an example of one of our mares that tested negative for both, with her blue -eyed foal (not tested). So bottom line is that splash and frame can cause blue eyes, but there is something else - maybe another form of splash - that must also cause blue eyes.

ETA: Congrats on the filly and can we see pics???? Please???

Heads_T_C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think it is Splash- there are more Splash genes to be sorted out yet that have not been "found" Once they are I am certain it will be found that Splash causes blue eyes.

Pretty sure Frame does not, though.

So, judging by the way that my stallion, carrying Splash, caused two blue eyes on a black mare, your foal is Splash- also Smoky Black if dam is Cremello.....

There is a Clydesdale with a partial blue eye that I know... Heavy sabino roaning too. Sabino have blue eyes?

SPLASH!!!!!!

I *still* think that, like the sabino tests, not all of the types of Splash have tests available yet. And that if they test neg for the 3 types they've developed so far doesn't mean the horses don't have Splash. That is MY theory!

Snips and botton heavy face white and blue eyes.......Splash.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back