Blood typed, DNA?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meavey

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought an stallion to import him to europe.

The seller wanted to make him Parentige Qualified for her, but now it turns out the mother of the stallion is blood typed and that is a different lab?

Does anyone know what this means? Is blood typed different with no DNA markers?

Cause the horse needs to be PQ-ed to be of any use here in europe, they wont accept his predigree if it is not checked and confirmed...

And the dam has passed away....

The horse is already payed and is scheduled to be picked up to the qurantine soon.

So we are in a hurry to find out because we now might have to cancel everything...

Alreday mailed AMHA but no reply yet, maybe some here know?

Blood can be converted to DNA, but different labs have different markers. Hopefully, AMHA can give you some answers.

Ok thanks for the heads up Mary Lou.

My friend is not so good in english, but we will try.

If the sire of your friends horse is still alive, the owner of that sire can have the horse DNA'd with the same lab as the dam - and then they can probably PQ the offspring -- I think that might be the only way to ensure proper parentage. Your friends horse will also need to be DNA/PQ's with the same lab as both his sire & dam. Good luck, this stuff is always difficult - but not impossible.

AMHA and AMHR use different labs and I don't think that either recognizes the other which is a shame

Our AMHA stallion, Raider, was blood typed when we bought him. It's been so many years ago, but I know we put in a request through AMHA to have him DNA'd and they used his blood test to do it. Now sure how they would work it now.
default_unsure.png

Well the sale was cancelled cause there was no way to PQ him...

Just thought I would give an update.

Luckely my friend stumbled over another nice stallion,(she was looking for a nice frame overo), so he is probably coming to europe now.

Thanks for all the thoughts on helping!

That's really interesting, Linda. Are you saying all horses going overseas have to be PQ'd? Or just ones going to the Netherlands? I've sold quite a few horses to Europe and other countries and I haven't been asked if they are PQ'd or eligible.

Well Becky for the dutch studbook they do.

The stoodbook only accepts foreign horses pedigree if they are DNA tested to make sure the pedigree is correct.

And because we don't just use the horse for just AMHA breedings but also to cross with our dutch or european bred mares, we wil need pedigree. ;)

And stalions are not accepted without pedigree so that's why.

And I know you've sold horses before here Becky, this one was for Anja that also has Anahita. ;)

She's doing good btw. ;)

Latest posts

Back