Blind foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Had a foal born yesterday and she appears to be blind . She does not react to hand motion in front of eyes, has walked into wall a few times, circles in stall on occasion, but seems to know where mare and spigots are. It is mares first foal and she is a silver bay and the sire is a palomino. The foal is white like some other foals here but they are actually very light palominos. Could this be temporary or what action should one take. Somebody on this form has usually encountered any health situation that is raised. Would appreciate all help.

I'm sorry for you and the filly and my only thought is that you should have a Vet check her out and perhaps in the meantime you have. I hope you will have good news for us.

Joyce

Contact Backwoodsnanny. She had a foal who was born blind a couple of years ago. I'm sure she can help you.
default_smile.png

Yes lots of experience our blind foal Helen will be 2 in August. In her case she was not what they call a pea eye foal she has NO eyes at all. That said she is a perfect little horse in every other way. Everyone told me to put her down because she would have no quality of life but I didnt and I am so very glad I didnt. I will PM you with the rest of the story.

Nita

Good Morning AJ,

We had a foal to develope an cornea ulcer several years back (our first one) and visited with the vet about babies and their eyes. A new born cannot see like we think they can for two weeks. That is why you see them "hugging" their mothers. Their eyes are blue when born and will change within the two weeks. What you have to watch (when stalled especially) is that they have a tendency to run into the wall or even their mothers and that is what damages their eyes.

Every since that particular conversation I have watch my babies closely to be sure they don't hurt themselves and all have gained their sight by the time they were ten days old.

Karen

Vet diagnosed problem as Cataracts. It appears that this is not all that common in foals and for vets that don't deal exclusively with horses it is even less common, and accordingly the vet was not very optimistic in offering advice. Has anyone dealt with cataracts in a newborn foal?

I had a maiden mare foal a week ago. She was 316 days and the baby should have been "cooked". This filly looked as if she was a 290 day foal. Limp as a noodle! Could not stand nor raise its head. It was a very tight delivery. The vet came checked her eyes and thought that the baby had cateracts. I had had a foal born "blind" once before and really didn't feel it was a cateract. More like birthing traum to the eyes. Well, its a week today and her eyes are clear abd she is begining to stand up. Still has a ways to go. I am still having to feed her via a feeding tube and giving her IV fluid every 2/3 hours, but I believe that she will make it.

I wouldn't call your foal "blind" just yet. The "blindness" could be from trauma to the eyes due to a tight delivery. The other time it happened to me the other mare was also a maiden.

Last edited by a moderator:
No experience with a blind foal,but I had a blind mare who went out with her buddies.I put a small bell(like a Christmas bell) on the other mares so she would know where they were.They also looked out for her and made sure she came in with them at night.They would actually wait for her and call to her to come in. And some people call them DUMB animals.good luck with your baby

I wouldn't mind hearing little Helen's story too if you have the time and don't mind sharing it
default_yes.gif

Yes lots of experience our blind foal Helen will be 2 in August. In her case she was not what they call a pea eye foal she has NO eyes at all. That said she is a perfect little horse in every other way. Everyone told me to put her down because she would have no quality of life but I didnt and I am so very glad I didnt. I will PM you with the rest of the story.

Nita

Latest posts

Back