Blind eye question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
Tilly (Finn's mom) is blind in one eye. It looked normal when I got her 2 years ago but has shrunk since then so I'm guessing a traumatic injury, it doesn't bother her at all. The problem is it's constantly being bothered by bugs(worse than the other) in the summer and year round she likes to stick her head in the middle of the hay pile and of course doesn't close it at the right time. It's always gooey or has dried goop around it. I'm going to ask my vet when he comes out for shots but does anyone have or know a little or big who has had their eye lids sown shut? I know they do this if they remove an eye but how about if they don't? Does anyone have any pros or cons or thoughts about it? All I can think is that it would help keep everything out and help prevent a further injury.
Thanks 😁

You could also have her wear a fly mask? We had a horse who was blind in one eye but it wasn't shrunken really and she never seemed to have more bugs in that eye vs. the other one although she was highly sensitive to bugs in general (sweet itch) so wore full fine-mesh fly gear (but wouldn't tolerate a mask, I think because it interfered with her already limited vision).

From what I understand, enucleation is not a bad option and may be less prone to complications than sewing the eyelids shut over an eye that is still present? But that's definitely a question for your vet!

I do wonder, if the eye is shrunken and gets irritated and goopy, maybe that's a simple reason for why the flies go for it, they like the goop? So if you can prevent the irritation by whatever means, that might solve the bug problem?

Thank Abby😁.
I have a fly mask for her and it helps but I can't find one that fits well. She's accident prone and even with it hemmed to fit better I've had her get it tangled up, I didn't know that was even possible before she did it, lol. I don't want to go all the way with enucleation, it's not that big a deal to put her through that. I think you're right that the goop from her hay attracts the flies which makes more goop then more flies etc.
I'll talk to my vet.

I dont think its uveitis, she doesn't show any discomfort at all and the other eye has no goop or redness or soreness.
I've looked but haven't found an eye cup for a mini....yet

Maybe the tear duct is blocked? Could the vet flush her eyes the next time they are out? I just had the vet flush Stormy eyes out, one was always goopy and watering, the other one is fine. I still put Stormy in a fly mask, his eye still waters.

I just saw an one - eyed horse at the event last weekend! He was doing obstacles with no problem, a WILD mustang! who was such a great calm horse. The only issue the new owner had was she had to lead him on the side with the good eye to prevent from being accidentally stepped on.

I have an older mini, Goldie, also blind in one eye and damaged in the other eye from infection. These are older problems and she has been seen and treated by a vet.

I do use a fly mask during the buggy season, a Kensington mesh for size B mini. It has been a great fit for Goldie, luckily. Fitting minis for almost anything is as bad as finding a pair of jeans the right fit! 🤣

The other useful item is the Veterycin Antimicrobial Eye Wash. It is gentle and easy to use on those hot dusty buggy days when even a mask isn’t the total answer.

I asked the vet at one point about having the eye permanently closed and his thought, for Goldie, was not to do so if the eye was able to be saved and remain in place.

Taz, is your mare silver? I ask because there is a now known genetic link to eye issues and the silver gene. That might help your vet in diagnosis and treatment.

Also remember, if she's chestnut, silver could be "hidden" as it only acts on black. I've an acquaintance who owns a chestnut stallion that is homozygous silver! He also had eye issues that weren't addressed when she sent him out on lease as a yearling. He was returned to her almost completely blind, as the leasee never bothered to let her know there was an issue and didn't have it treated. He's back with her now, is blind in one eye with limited vision in the other. As a now six or seven year old, he's adjusted and gets around fine.😁

I'll be researching the links above, as I have some major curiosity about mini equipment.🤔🤨

Taz, is your mare silver? I ask because there is a now known genetic link to eye issues and the silver gene. That might help your vet in diagnosis and treatment.

Also remember, if she's chestnut, silver could be "hidden" as it only acts on black. I've an acquaintance who owns a chestnut stallion that is homozygous silver! He also had eye issues that weren't addressed when she sent him out on lease as a yearling. He was returned to her almost completely blind, as the leasee never bothered to let her know there was an issue and didn't have it treated. He's back with her now, is blind in one eye with limited vision in the other. As a now six or seven year old, he's adjusted and gets around fine.😁

I'll be researching the links above, as I have some major curiosity about mini equipment.🤔🤨
She's black pinto carries red, that's all I know but probably no silver?

I just found a fly mask that actually fits her😁. All the others were too big or small.

If she's black, there's no silver.

Hopefully your vet can get you sorted out quickly. I've never owned a one-eyed. I've met several over the years, after their eye had been removed and the lid sewn shut. Really, I think it's more traumatic for us than for them. As long as we do our best to provide a safe environment, they do adjust well.

Edited to add: I know I've mentioned the silver issue a LOT lately. I suppose it's the educator in my personality. I remember hearing a breeder mentioning, "well (person's name), there's a REASON breeders stayed away from breeding silver." Yet, when questioned, they didn't want to elaborate. We can test now though.

This vagueness is similar to the issue of dwarfism. Don't mention it openly. Again, we can now test.

Okay, I'll let us get back to the OP's topic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back