Bleaching stalls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

Reaction score
We recently came home from the Ohio State Fair where our horses caught something. Coughing and not eating. At congress this past week I heard several horses with the same sounding cough that we had already had.

My question is: we are going back to nationals in three weeks--does spraying the stalls with bleach really help. Is there anything better to do??

Thanks

I havent used bleach, but I do use a product called stall safe, made specifically for that purpose. Its supposed to be more effective than bleach, ammonia, pinesol etc. and its pretty handy to use, the bottle has a sprayer thats battery operated, you just pull the trigger like its a hose.

One part bleach to ten parts water is what my vet recommends

Bleach degrades very quickly in the presence of organic material, which makes it rather ineffective for this use. Try a product called Virkon S instead, it is much more stable.

For the past 3 years I've used lysol and I mix it with water follow the directions on the bottle I got tired of my horses getting sick at horse shows. NOW they never get sick. I go in before I put them in and spray the stall and spray the stall sides and door and have never had them get sick off of it either. I know several people that use it as well. And their horses don't get sick either. I'm taking it to Nationals with me. I don't like the smell of bleach, ICK!!!! Lysol dosen't leave a smell to the stall and my horses haven't gotten sick. OR I'm just darn lucky...... I have a sick filly right now and I'm spraying my feet and the area around where I walk anywhere near my boy's and feed room, if I have to back track and so far I've been lucky no other sick horses. So it works for me.

The web suggests lysol too. Quite an ordeal if you are to follow the whole procedure described. We have used Virkon as advised by the vet.

Cleaning the stall isn't a bad idea.

The virus that was spread at the OSF was transmitted via air droplets. No amount of cleaning the stall will prevent it. Only high health animals can fight it off.

Dr. Taylor

Stall Safe is off the market... I've used it the last couple of years but it's no longer available. I do think the best defense is a healthy horse with a good immune system, and I do my best to accomplish that. Guess I will order Virkon this year for Nationals though, the more ways they are protected the better.

Jan

Latest posts

Back