Blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ourcozycoop

Reaction score
hey everyone

New here. Yet to introduce myself formally. My names Steph, I currently have 2 mini’s needing blankets. So I have some questions. I’ve read some post on here but now I’m a wee confused as to the blanket size I should go with.

I have a Falabella named Willow she’s a single register at 34” tall her length measurement is 33”

I have a paint as well named Star, she’s also tall 34” and growing she’s stocky measuring 32” in length

I was going to purchase two 36” blankets but see you guys go much bigger in blanket size....

I see some of you purchasing 40+” blankets for your minis that are the same height as our girls.

I’m at a loss. What size should I buy.

Our paint is very active. She likes to play and climb and jump so I’m afraid to go to big as I would hate for an injury to occur. This is a girl who gets her legs caught in anything she can manage to attempt to climb. Our OTTO experience a leg injury (great recovery) however it’s left me nervous to experience any more leg injuries. Which seems to be making me hesitant on purchasing a blanket for them. Something that seems so easy and straight forward has me at a loss.

Any advice or suggestions.

Willow is 2 and Star is a yearling. They get great winter coats but our Canadian Climate gets crazy cold and this year the are on a 24/7 turn out with a barn run in. I’ve been closing them in the run in to perseve pasture during heavy rain.

Okay, when you measured length, where did you measure? North American blankets are sized by measurement from center of chest around the widest part of the barrel to the side of the tail. So yes, I would expect your 34" tall horse to take about a size 46 blanket.

Where in Canada are you? I am in Manitoba.

Okay, when you measured length, where did you measure? North American blankets are sized by measurement from center of chest around the widest part of the barrel to the side of the tail. So yes, I would expect your 34" tall horse to take about a size 46 blanket.

Where in Canada are you? I am in Manitoba.

What a knob I am!!! I measured from her withers to tail Duh!!! No wonder I’ve been confused haha I just couldn’t for the life of me figure out why everyone was going so big when I was comparing my minis height to others. Its been awhile since purchasing a blanket (apparently) Its come back to me like a slap to the fore head

We are in Ontario!!

Thank you!!

It's not 100% accurate, but I read that blanket length is roughly 10-12" longer than height. Doesn't work for my little stallion, he's 31" tall and wears a 38" blanket; but it's close for my 38" mares that wear 50-52" blankets. Like Minimor said, measure around the side from center of chest to center of tail; most websites have a measuring guide with a picture showing where to measure for their blankets.

It's not 100% accurate, but I read that blanket length is roughly 10-12" longer than height. Doesn't work for my little stallion, he's 31" tall and wears a 38" blanket; but it's close for my 38" mares that wear 50-52" blankets. Like Minimor said, measure around the side from center of chest to center of tail; most websites have a measuring guide with a picture showing where to measure for their blankets.

Thanks!! I was measuring wrong lol when I got my OTTO I stocked up on every blanket you could think of for him. Not needing to buy another for decades lol I forgot how to measure LOL and have never blanketed our Minis before. So they have zero blankets of any kind currently.

What brands do you guys prefer

Our girls are like crazy little puppies. They enjoy rough housing around with each other, so I’m looking to get VERY durable blankets.

LOL you were measuring the European way. They measure withers to tail.

Kensingtons are good durable blankets, especially the 1200 denier ones. They fit well on the minis. The new styles don't fit my ponies as nicely as the old ones do but I still like them. They are warm and waterproof.

I like the mini turnouts from Schneider's Tack. I have also used the ones from Big Dees horse supply and although I like them as they have velcro closures and a belly cover, they are not quite as heavy/durable as the Schneider's. They do come in a cute argyle pattern though :).
The blankets I don't like are by Tough One. They never seem to fit right on my minis and the waterproofing just isn't good.

What I discovered is that my gelding hates the blanket. He's like Houdini & will get out of it no matter what. That has led me to believe he doesn't need it. Every horse has a different need. His coat is very thick & stick out everywhere. The blanket actually mats his hair down which causes his natural insulation to not work as well. My philly on the other hand, has shorter hair & it's not as thick so she likes the blanket. She also tends to stand in the barn under the heat lamp at night & my gelding stands right out in the cold. My point is, every horse is different. It's always trial & error.

What I discovered is that my gelding hates the blanket. He's like Houdini & will get out of it no matter what. That has led me to believe he doesn't need it. Every horse has a different need. His coat is very thick & stick out everywhere. The blanket actually mats his hair down which causes his natural insulation to not work as well. My philly on the other hand, has shorter hair & it's not as thick so she likes the blanket. She also tends to stand in the barn under the heat lamp at night & my gelding stands right out in the cold. My point is, every horse is different. It's always trial & error.

I actually thought this the other day. They are young, I don’t want to interfere with their bodies ability to produce a heavy winter coat also I thought about the matting down when my daughter came home with hat head. This I don’t want either. Last winter we brought them in every night this winter we aren’t (asides from the run in and maybe closing it on extreme days. I’m going to see where the winter and their coats take us and go from there. I’ll keep an eye out on some used blankets as just in case. Thanks for your input!! So also have a feeling Star would be much like Houdini too as she still HATES being haltered and runs for the hills when she sees or hears it.

I live in Northeast Montana, quite near the Canadian border, so it gets quite cold and snowy.
I don't blanket my normal, healthy minis that have full coats. I only blanket those that show they need it, which around here are usually just seniors or horses with health issues, and the senior that has been blanketed in the past is doing well this year.
Picture from several years ago during winter.

Attachments

• fuzzy faces - jan 19, 2013.jpg
    fuzzy faces - jan 19, 2013.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1
  • Tana - jan 11, 2010.jpg
    Tana - jan 11, 2010.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Showy - jan 11, 2010.jpg
    Showy - jan 11, 2010.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2
3477DEB3-8FF5-4A1C-96F5-CD4F9F93E7D9.jpeg 6DE3AE57-6D73-4E5E-9626-694B0F7D7E9A.jpeg
I live in Northeast Montana, quite near the Canadian border, so it gets quite cold and snowy.
I don't blanket my normal, healthy minis that have full coats. I only blanket those that show they need it, which around here are usually just seniors or horses with health issues, and the senior that has been blanketed in the past is doing well this year.
Picture from several years ago during winter.

I do think it’s prob. Not nessecary for our girls either. They do have thick beautiful coats already and they are still thickening up. Not to mention they are heavy healthy girls. I suppose I was just worried about the younger one. But even still she’s so active that on the coldest days I’m sure she’ll fair fine.

It’s nice to see and know what others are doing!! I’ll post a pic of the crazy girls :) these pics were about 3 weeks ago

Latest posts

Back