Blanketing Minis ❄️

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniM@m@

Reaction score
At what temp do you blanket your unclipped equines? I saw that when the temp gets down to 30s - 40s, to start with a lightweight blanket, but it’s discretionary.

Seems chilly burritos for the little ones!

❄ 🌬 🧊

Attachments

• 4586D544-71BB-4EC6-A495-B58798738CC3.jpeg
    4586D544-71BB-4EC6-A495-B58798738CC3.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
We have had multiple days below zero, and I do not blanket the minis. They do get locked in the barn at evening feed, with both end doors closed when temps fall that low at night.

They also get shut in if there is heavy snow to help them stay dry. Wet and cold is never good! 🥶

I always take off my mittens and run my hands up under their manes and they are surprisingly toasty in the coldest weather!

Thanks for the reply @MaryFlora

We are getting into the low 30s in Texas (cold for us) and in my head I know my unclipped boy will be warm, but I’ve always had clipped horses and in my heart, I feel a bit mean out of the habit of blanketing. Ha!

He is stalled but one side is more open with a draft. However, I think he will still be nice and snug in this weather.

It was 8 degrees out this morning. Mine are in a barn with the dutch doors open, and they were fine without blankets. I put them out as soon as they ate too, and they were happy to be out. And my poor mare got clipped in October for a show, so she has a very short winter coat. I got her a blanket in case but she doesn't seem to want it.

If they are cold they will let you know. We rarely blanket ours--and we're in Canada (Manitoba) where -40 temps and -53 windchill are common enough in winter. I had 1 mini mare that would get cold and start shaking if it was cold and windy. So, she would get a blanket until the cold spell broke. We also had 2 ponies that never did well if it got colder than -15 or if it was 35 to 40 and raining; they spent much of each winter with winter blankets. The rest--no worries at all.

I follow a similar chart!!

They don’t really need blankets. The blankets are for the owners peace of mind 🤣🤣 so all of mine get blankets in this really rough and tough Texas winter when the temps fall below freezing… sometimes below 40 if it is rainy and windy. 💕💕 Tonight the low is 21 degrees and they already have their blankeys on🥰

I'm the voice of dissent I guess. I blanket! They get a light(150-200gm) blanket on when it gets to 0 to 5 C, below 0 they get a heavy(300gm) blanket on top of that. Most of them come in at night so get the top one off, the ones that don't have an inside stall keep both on. They are always more relaxed, not wanting in as much or as hungry when they are blanketed. Oh, and an unlined raincoat when it's wet or windy once it hits 10-15C

I have one that I put a sheet on in the 40's, light blanket in the 30's, heavy blanket with sheet in the 20's and a heavy weight blanket with an integrated neck cover and another layer under that in the teen's and below. He is sensitive 😁 plus he enjoys his wardrobe changes. Cappy gets a light blanket if its in the 20's, heavier in the teens and below.
Old welsh pony gets a mid weight blanket when it hit's the 30's, double blanketed in the teens. So I guess you could say it varies with my herd. I do spend a lot of time changing their clothes and would be happy to do less, but they don't tolerate less (shivers).

I have blankets for each of mine and really just keep an eye on them. If anyone is shivering, they get blanketed. If they have enough body fat, are eating well, and winter coat is in good I wait. I only have one animal currently blanketed and that's my daughter's goat. I have a senior Welsh cobb that used to get blanketed earlier than this as he would shiver at 30F. He hasn't shivered yet and we've had minus 0 temps at night. I was worried about our foal but he is doing great. Blankets are ready and waiting just in case!

Without a doubt, these 'little' guys are incredibly tough and hardy!!! Don't let their size deceive you :)
Especially when they grow their 2" thick winter woolies!!!
I love the cartoon from MiniMom...Spot on!!!

I never used to blanket at all (and we get cold nights on Colorado prairie).
But 2 years ago Pete started colic-ing whenever the temp dropped below ~10
Turns out there is a thing called cold induced colic...

So, if the forecasted temp is 0 - 15...I put a light blanket on them both.
If the forecasted temp is below 0, I put their medium heavy blanket on.
And my vet has me give them electrolytes for 1 - 2 days before the storm hits to ensure they are fully hydrated.
(And yes, they have shelter and water at all times)

We've had a good handful of very cold nights now this year...And not a colic in sight!!! :)

It all depends on the horse. Blanketing too much too early can cause them not to grow a good winter coat which in turn may mean you have to blanket a lot more. Whether you blanket or not, the best way to help keep them warm is make sure they have hay 24/7. Digestion generates heat. I am in Texas and I really don’t blanket unless absolutely necessary. I’ll blanket if I clip a horse early. Or if I have one that is shivering. But that’s extremely rare. I didn’t even blanket last year when we got below zero in Texas. My little guys were covered in snow. But a layer of unmelted snow on them tells me their coat is insulating them exactly like it was made to do. This little guy had shelter but chose to stand in the snow. I kept an eye out for shivering but he never did. That said, I’d you think a horse needs a blanket than you can blanket. Not like there’s anything wrong with it one way or another as long as the horse is comfortable.

Attachments

• 9F756541-D66A-44DA-9B4C-BD95A2868F34.jpeg
    9F756541-D66A-44DA-9B4C-BD95A2868F34.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've been fortunate, I've never had to blanket. I dislike the idea of blanketing because the weather where I live can change so rapidly, I am afraid of making my horse sick. If you are blanketing, you have to keep up with the weather, and be around to change the blanketing in accordance to the temperature, especially if your horse has access to turnout, or is pastured. Something to keep in mind if you work away from home.

Latest posts

Back