Blanketing chart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to blanket mine during the cold spell. 0 degrees is cold and their shelters aren't like indoor stalls when the wind is fierce. Billy has fine hair and Dapper Dan is senior. They will appreciate a blanket this weekend. I think it just depends on the horse.
That graph was wild to read, Kelly!

They're all so different - my friend's 17h warmblood who was foaled in Canada needs a blanket anytime it's below 50, or raining and below 65. He grows almost no hair and will shiver otherwise. However, we had gotten a horse off the racetrack in November who was born in Florida. She had almost no winter coat and was of course in racing weight (= skinny) and about a week after we brought her home it was single digits with a -30 wind chill and our horses were outdoors (with a shelter and plenty of hay). We assumed she would require a blanket, put a medium weight on her, half an hour later checked her and she was sweating under it!

The crazy chart is no exaggeration. It's just a small part of what makes horse ownership so much fun. ;)

I have 19 equines; 2 saddle horses, 15 minis and a mini donkey. I have 4 mares that for various reasons are thinner than they should be, the other day they all got blankets. Yesterday, the donkey was shivering, so she got a blanket (she's coming 11 years old, and this is like the third time in her life she has worn a blanket, the first was during the Polar Vortex; evidently her porky little behind needs a longer blanket, as it's sticking out a bit). So far, the pushing 30 mini is fine, he definitely lets me know when he's too cold. And, everyone else seems fine just stuffing their faces full of hay.
Today our current temp is 27 below F with little to no wind.

Latest posts

Back