blanket trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashingdrake

Reaction score
I was given my mini a few months ago, I “bought” him but he was actually free, he came with just about everything I need for him, plus a little extra. His blankets however, don’t quite fit him, they’re a bit short at 44 but they are also extremely tight on his neck. He does have an issue with a huge cresty neck, which I am working on getting rid of; but it’s taking time. My mom bought him a turnout blanket for christmas, size 48 which fits his length well, but I can’t even buckle the chest, it’s too tight, the belly surcingle is tight as well.

His previous owners gave him far too much feed and treats so he is quite overweight, and it really shows on his neck, but I’m working on it. He’s going on a supplement this week to help the cresty neck (Quissence) and I work him as much as I can.

Any advice on a blanket with a big/adjustable neck in mini sizes? I’d like to get a chest extender since this new blanket is nice but all the ones I’ve seen are too big of a size difference to work.

I’d love to hear all and any advice and opinions, thank you!

Attachments

• 5B86ADBD-0A5F-46DA-8E04-9F718704FBF9.jpeg
    5B86ADBD-0A5F-46DA-8E04-9F718704FBF9.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 5
Not knowing the style of blanket you have - if you can sew or know someone that does, maybe you can use heavy duty velcro to extend the straps. I'd make the velcro wide and long as you can.
That said, are you sure he needs a blanket? Most minis have a great coat to keep them warm & dry in the winter. Just give them extra hay when it's really cold out, and shelter from the wind.

He's adorable! I don't know how the front of your blankets close but what about a couple of dog collars to make the straps longer?

Thanks for the replies! He doesn’t actually need a blanket right now, I live in Pennsylvania and it does get pretty cold but I try to only use it when it’s wet, rainy or actively snowing and hes outside. He does have a nice thick coat but it’s more of a, I’ll use it when I need it. I just would like to have a well fitting blanket for whenever I need it, for the cold, wet or a medical reason. He very much loves to roll in mud and anything wet, no matter how cold it is, so I dry him off as much as possible but a blanket for extra warmth while drying would be nice. It’s a buckle closure on the front, I assumed that would help give him a little extra neck room but it doesn’t give much sadly.

I’ve never heard of using dog collars, I’ll definitely try that, thanks Taz! The blankets he came with are closed front so I can’t really do anything about that unless I really want to cut it and sew up larger. Thanks for all the help y’all! I’ll post a pic here once I forgive out what works best!

Also, yes this is temporary until he slims down a bit. He was fed like a big horse with his old owner, who had him for about seven years. : ( We are working on it though!

He is very handsome! I have trouble with the blankets being too small in the front and fitting everywhere else sometimes. What I do is take the buckles off and get a piece of canvas, cordura, or other heavy weight material and stitch it across the front of the blanket, you can almost get a custom fit if you mess with it long enough. I take some fleece and fold it over the top edge (where the neck joins the chest) and sew it on just for comfort.

Latest posts

Back