Blade-joring in slow motion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby P

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry no pics or video, it was a blustery day and we just went up and down the barn driveway a couple times at a walk. All I can say so far is, holy learning curve Batman! Definitely a lot more practice is needed before I'm going to be attaching myself to him. He was very good however, happy to pull me, it's just the stopping and steering part that was a bit disrupted. Holding the pull rope in one hand and the lines in the other was a little too much for my coordination to handle. Stopping him is hard because if I have to put much pressure on the lines I pull myself right up onto his heels. Probably not such an issue on rougher ground but still, not ideal. It may be that a light shaft set will be the best solution but I will practice with the brake on the skates and see. Definitely today I could not get all my appendages to do all the things all at the same time! So I stopped myself with my hands on his bum before remembering I had brakes.

Definitely a lot more practice is needed before I'm going to be attaching myself to him.
Yeah for me personally, I am scared to attach myself to them 🤣 but I’m a big ole chicken! They make it look too easy on the video from Patty’s Pony Place!!

Holding the pull rope in one hand and the lines in the other was a little too much for my coordination to handle. Stopping him is hard because if I have to put much pressure on the lines I pull myself right up onto his heels.
I am just using their lead rope in one hand and harness in the other, I don’t think I would be coordinated enough for both lines connected to their bridle. Since I am just using a halter I have gently pull when I want them to slow down, but my minis are a lot smaller than Rowan, so it is probably easier for me. I decided to skate next to my ponies so if I need to let go of the harness I could or if they spooked I could just keep skating on by them.

So I stopped myself with my hands on his bum before remembering I had brakes.
What else are bums for??🤣🤣

Have you seen the Emma Massingale video of her grass skiing with her biggie? She isn’t attached, but holds on from behind…. which looks like a major arm work out.

Good luck, I just know you’ll get the hang of it and you two will be blade-joring all the way to Fort Worth, TX before you know it! 😍😍

Well, I just ordered all the attachment stuff, so we'll see! Even though I am a big ol' chicken too. 😆 I will try it again in slow-mo with me attached (after a couple more weeks practicing by myself on the blades) and see if not having to manage the two lines plus the pull rope with my hands allows my pea brain to better balance myself and use the skate brakes AND drive the pony all at the same time. Rowan is definitely a two-handed drive, too, especially if he is the least bit unsure what I'm asking him for. Which he definitely was especially if the pull let up on the pull rope - when he is pulling, he gets it. No pull on the breastcollar and he had to turn around and see what was going on back there. And of course I was too discombobulated to keep him straight so we had a 5-minute session of going in circles around each other before we got sorted out. :)

Going beside him is a thought as well - I'll definitely play around with it. Not sure how easy that would be at anything faster than a walk though.

I've seen enough of Emma Massingale to feel totally inadequate, although she's definitely inspirational!

Watch out, I might roll slowly up your driveway someday expecting Fireball! ;)

It's definitely a lot! We'll see if we ever get good enough that we can go down the trail. Or anywhere at more than a walk. 🤣 I will definitely keep reporting back!

These are the skates I have (black Friday came through for me this year!):

https://www.proskatersplace.com/sho...werslide-xc-trainer-bronx-off-road-rollerski/
There are also other off-road ones that are more like traditional rollerblades but have three big wheels. However, those seem to be geared towards "downhill" (aka kamikaze) rollerblading as opposed to "Nordic" rollerblading. I felt like these would be more stable, and also they have a brake on them which the others don't. Not sure I could manage a hockey stop while driving a pony.

You can replace the pneumatic wheels with hard wheels if you want to take these on the roads.

I looked at those! I believe that they would be good, better that roller skates.

I've tried three different roller skates and because of using the boards, I end up on my rump! Seems I've become accustomed to shifting my weight rearward, which causes the skates to go forward😆

These look like they would be hard to do that with. Perhaps I need to find some😁

They are pretty stable, still not what I would call EASY, but I can definitely see myself wiping out pretty readily in regular roller blades! But just in general, the amount of leg and core muscle that is required to keep the skates under you is substantial. I would think you'd be pretty well set up on that front though, the longboarding looks like a pretty good workout too!

The main thing that is hard at least for me is to remember that if I want to slow down I have to stick my right foot out in front of me. My attachment setup involves a skijoring belt that goes down over the butt so I will probably be doing some rearward weight shifts too when he pulls me, so that's a good reminder not to stick BOTH feet out in front of me! ;) It is possible to add a brake to the other skate as well which I may ultimately do just because I'm not the most coordinated person so not having to remember which side needs to engage in order to stop might be helpful.

Yes, the longboard is great for balance and core strength, especially when going down the trails.

@Abby P have you been skating lately? Just curious if you are still liking your new skates? How do they do off road? I am thinking about getting some of these in the next couple of months or so and would like your honest opinion on them.

Hi Kelly! I haven't been using them at ALL. No time, mud, fear... 🤣

I think the quality of the ones I have is good and they seem like they would be good on dirt roads and firm trails. What size shoe do you wear? The ones I have accommodate a 7-8 shoe size (there is an inner bootie that you can use or not use, to make them a size smaller). Realistically, they should be for sale, since right now about all I can muster is chores and walks, many weeks I can only get out there one time.

Oh gotcha. Bummer you can’t get out there more often. I wear a size 6. If Stormy and I really get into skating, which I now have a feeling we will, I am thinking trail skating would be fun too. The trails around here are both concrete and dirt. Stormy seems to enjoy skating more than pulling the bike, so I see more skating in our future. My little roller derby skates are only good on concrete, they won’t be good for off roading 🤣🤣

From what I have seen in your pics I think the skates I have would work really, really well for those trails. They are fine on pavement, a little slow, but that isn't such an issue if you've got pony power. :)

I should try going beside him, it might be easier! No skating though, I'd have to just be pulled along, since with the blades you have to go way out side to side if you want to push off at all, and you'd run into their legs.

It's definitely a lot! We'll see if we ever get good enough that we can go down the trail. Or anywhere at more than a walk. 🤣 I will definitely keep reporting back!

These are the skates I have (black Friday came through for me this year!):

https://www.proskatersplace.com/sho...werslide-xc-trainer-bronx-off-road-rollerski/
There are also other off-road ones that are more like traditional rollerblades but have three big wheels. However, those seem to be geared towards "downhill" (aka kamikaze) rollerblading as opposed to "Nordic" rollerblading. I felt like these would be more stable, and also they have a brake on them which the others don't. Not sure I could manage a hockey stop while driving a pony.

You can replace the pneumatic wheels with hard wheels if you want to take these on the roads.
Those are what Pontus Huggoson skijores his mini in. have you ever seen his videos? Crazy fun!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHoTeL1337?app=desktop

Wow, his setup is great, I love that. I think it would really benefit my complete lack of coordination to have everything in my hands and the SAME thing in BOTH hands, so's I can't get my hands mixed up. And could just let go if things went south! Plus it would be a good use for the traces that I seem unlikely to hitch to an actual cart more than twice a year at this rate.

Latest posts

Back