black oil sunflower

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
i'm having a bit of a crisis. i opened my feed can this morning and it looks like my pelleted feed is getting moldy, no big surprise since we've had nothing but rain and humidity for endless weeks. either that or for some strange reason, a whole bunch of dust got into my feed can! anyway, i pitched it all but i could not get to the city today for another bag.

my horses don't NEED this stuff but i'm the mom and i think they should have a teeny tiny bit. they don't argue.

so tonight, since i didn't have any grain, i gave them each a marshmallow and about ONE EIGHTH cup of black oil sunflower seeds. i see here where people feed them as a coat conditioner? anyway, i'll have to give them some in the morning because they will NOT be happy campers to find a single measly marshmallow in their breakfast bucket!

how much is safe? my biggie is 1,000#, the two mini boys are probably around 275-300#. they absolutely INHALED them!

tia
default_smile.png

I give no more than 1/2 cup to my minis. I did give it all winter and some of the horses didnt shed out real good like I had expected. The ygot pretty fat through the winter though! I will not use it on some of the horses this year. My mare that has a foal, I am giving 1/2 cup a day and her coat is super shiney and her weight is good.

Marsha

thanks, marsha. i only have to have something to give them tomorrow morning. i'm going back to work and will pick up a bag of feed tomorrow. think i'll put it in the barn fridge till it cools off here!

Mine get 1/4 cup twice a day, though actually I use heaping measure cups so they actually get more than a true 1/4 cup each time. One mare gets 3/8 cup 2x a day & if I were doing like you are--giving BOSS just to give them 'something' in place of their regular grain I wouldn't be concerned about giving them a little more than that. The grain ration has to be worthwhile and to me "worthwhile" starts at about 1/2 cup!

Anything less than a handful doesn't really count!!
default_biggrin.png

I also feed 1/2 cup per day (I only grain once a day) I also add 1/4 cup of whole flax which helps maintain a nice coat also and helps the digestive system work smoothly.

I feed my minis 1/4 cup BOSS per day year round, if anyone needs a little weight in the winter then I give as much as 1/2 cup per day. My half-Arab gelding gets 1 cup BOSS per day in summer and upto 2 cups BOSS per day in winter if he needs extra calories. These amounts seem to be good for my guys for shiny coats and they all just love them.

Latest posts

Back