Black horse problems!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
Hi there!

So here is my dilemma,

I have two jet black horses and one black and white pinto horse. I turn them out in the morning until about 11 then turn them back out between 4 and 5, I don't want them out in the harsh part of the day because of the heat and the sun bleaching so they get pampered by staying inside under their fans ;) My geldings (a black and the pinto) get flax seed and the mare (the other black) is going to be on flax but is currently on smart dark and handsome. The problem is that their flanks are sun bleached brown! I would expect the sun bleaching to be on the back? How do I get rid of the brown on their flanks??

Thank you!
default_worshippy.gif

Actually sunbleaching does occur first in the flank area. Really the only way to avoid bleaching is to turn out for the night and keep them in out of the sun all day.

Minimor is right, keeping them inside is the only foolproof way to prevent fading. Some people use sunscreen or reflective fly sheets. I have tried this to no avail. You could erect a shade shelter in the pasture, but the best way would be stabling during the day and turning out at night. Mine stay out all night and I have never had a problem. I don't know what the predator situation is like in your area, but with good safe fences you should be okay.

thank you for your responses! unfortunately I cannot turn them out at night
default_sad.png
We have tons of coyotes, fox, dogs, etc. otherwise it would be so much easier! I have heard about the fly sheets, they don't work?

Fly sheets--be careful because some are made of non-breathable material that will cause your horse to overheat on hot days. Even though they are mesh they will retain heat and not allow for cooling air movement

I've just started a black mare on Black as Knight.... all the reviews say it does help keep coats black. Main ingredient is paprika, which can also be fed alone... or black oil sunflower seeds. The seeds work pretty well but are a generous source of fat.
default_smile.png

Jan

There are shampoos that will help. Usually tinted green. Brightner shampoos may help as well. But don't use anything on them, product wise, that will intensify the sun rays. Like oily products.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back