~Black Beauties~ Blacker than Black

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphynx~n~minis

Reaction score
How do you get those Black horses Black, Black , Black? Do you use Black as Knight coat enhancer or do you have another secret formula for enhancing coat color and how much do you feed of it. I want to start feeding now for next years show season..... Shampoos just don't cut it, they just do not make them Black enough, he is kept in a shaddy pasture, so he is not sun bleached.

I have heard Paprika for Chestnuts and sorrels?

Any help you can give would be greatly appricated Thanks

BOSS and no sun!! I have a black gelding that was black as black can be until I got him home. He is in a shady pasture but he is bleaching. Next year for show season he will be kept in for the day and turned out at night and fed BOSS. Makes them nice and shiney too. Hope this helps.

Shelley<><

What is BOSS is it a coat supplement to add or is it a feed? I have never heard of it before. Can you tell me who makes it. Thanks a bun :aktion033: ch!

Shade just doesn't cut it if you're trying to protect a coat from sun fading. I suggest you try stalling during the day and turn out at night if possible. I also believe that a healthy coat comes from the inside-out, so feeding an excellent quality diet and possibly adding a supplement you are comfortable with will also help. For bath time, I prefer a premium shampoo and creme rinse over anything and highly recommend the EQyss line for horses.

BOSS stands for Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. You can do a search here on the forum for more information. Others here feed flax (available in several different forms), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too think it is so important to keep them in during the day if you want them to be their blackest. We have one that is naturally that velvet black but she does sun fade. I have found that the more I clip a pretty black horse during the summer, the better for looking good. We have a lot of shade in our pastures but coats still get damaged. You can always keep them covered when they are out and use sunblocks which often help...I hate to stall my horses all day long. Mary

I'm your black headquarters reporting in for duty! :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

That was corny........
default_wacko.png
:

Ok I have a whole boatload of those black beauties. I don't feel that a true black fades. I've always had blacks. Mine are exposed to the sun and no fadeing ever. True blacks are non fading. I don't use anything special in the diet or wash water and their color is always rich. However, the manes and tails do get some red streaks which I fix with hair dye. :lol:

This is not to say that sun doesn't damage a horse. Sunburn can fade a horse of any color, cause inflamation and tissue damage.

Now I have also had some blacks that will fade and bleach and those were not true blacks in the first place. Those are the ones that you don't expose to sun and keep stalled during the day etc.

To bring out the best in any color hair coat I suggest Super 14 or Super 17 by Farnum. Great product for hair coat.

Marty is correct a true black does not fade... The mane and tail might get a little brownish on top from the sun.

My horse is black and is out 24 / 7 unless they are being fed, and out again. :bgrin

I also leave our black (and white) minis out all the time and they don't fade. Of course they have shade, but they are in the sun as much as they want to be. So I agree that a true black (or a "non-fading" black, won't fade. The mane and foretop do fade a bit but I found that one dye treatment a year takes care of it. Of course, this doesn't help if you have the "fading" kind of black!!! But I wouldn't just assume that a black horse will fade.

Out of 4 blacks 3 are non fading and the other gets real crappy and sunbleached looking as summer wears on..

Yup, my black beauty, Halley, is black black, never fades or burns, love that girl.

I like flaxseed.......all colors intensify and shine, shine, shine! Plus it has some anitinflammatory properties, excellent Omega 3's. Just my own preference.

I have 5 blacks who are extremely black!! None are in barns. Run-ins by their own choice, etc.

BOSS is also good.....in fact, I eat them toasted, myself.
default_yes.gif
: My hair shines but isn't black :bgrin

I know that a true black is non fading, but if you want a little help with the fading, try Black as Knight. It has worked wonders for me and mine!! I get mine from Smartpack...

I have one black and as a yearling her coat was AWFUL until a trainer friend told me to clip wet with a 30 or 40 blade! I did both, first a 40 blade on Monday and with a 30 blade on Friday. Her coat is now a beautiful black. I also have used BOSS and Healthy Coat but the true beauty comes from within. I also use Ultra products from Scheidner's tack (sstack) called Sparkle Light Oil with Sun Screen. I use the oil after the horse has been clipped, washed and still wet. Most of the time I put 2 coats of oil on and let them stand in the sun until they are dry.

Good luck with your blacks.

What is BOSS is it a coat supplement to add or is it a feed? I have never heard of it before. Can you tell me who makes it. Thanks a bun :aktion033: ch!

Where do you buy the Black Oil sunflower seeds at? What department?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Black horses are my favorite color period. This summer I had to have my black mare put down due to severe arthritis and age and just about broke my heart.

I have a solid black stallion who stays black black. He has shade mornings and sun in the afternoons. He is stalled at night as it is not safe to leave minis outside at night due to wild animals roaming around.

I am a believer too that a true black will not fade. I will always pick a solid black horse over any other color.

Joyce L

DAC Oil. We use it and it is WONDERFUL. Just a capful twice a day. Our friend's horse was a faded black, she gave him this and in two WEEKS we was jet black with dapples!

Lucy

Double K shampoo for black horses helps wonderfully plus flax, and BOSS, my black mares are non-fading but the shampoo and supplements helps also, doesn't hurt.

I buy my BOSS at the feed store - it's bagged by Purina and in the bird seed section, but most feed stores, tractor supply etc carry it. Just be sure it doesn't have any additives.

Now I have a question - what is DAC oil and where do you get it?
default_smile.png

Jan

However, the manes and tails do get some red streaks which I fix with hair dye.
Marty, I have a black stallion, and his coat is fine, but he does get red streaks on the outside layer of his mane and tail that I'd like to fix. What type of hair dye do you use, and do you get like a dark brown, or actual black (I heard the black dye can look kinda purplish so they recommend dark brown on black haired people.) Anyone else use a hair dye on the manes/tails they could recommend?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
default_smile.png

Bernadette

Back