bitter cold and snow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it through the night with nothing frozen.Heater cranked up to 75 and closed door to laundry room where heater is and opened hatch to let warm air go under the house into crawl space.My house is very old and built on logs with flattened tops.We have done many renovations but it is still and old house.In 1990 we insulated from the outside with 1 inch blue board,Tyvek and new siding and new thermopane windows.I can't imagine how cold it got when the house was first built with no insulation or central heat.Not sure of the age of the house, but my deed goes back to pre civil war in 1856. wish it could talk and tell me about the people who lived here. Cold again tonight but not as bad as last night.Then more snow on Sat changing to rain.

This AM woke to -3 and frozen pipes in barn and at dtrs trailer. My deep well services us ..... so pipes thru barn and underground to lower fields and her place. Thankfully, nothing busted. But, it was sooooo cold to work. Of course, plumbers are totally booked!! Two hairdryers and a few hours to unwrap, thaw, re-wrap -- bigger and better -- got the job done. Told her to let the water have a slight solid run, not a drip! My house was fine and I had the daily hot water run, then the thaw.

Like everyone else, just working thru the problems and hoping this cold leaves soon. We have hit record cold that hasn't occurred in 119 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do NOT want to be part of any more of these record breakers. LOL I'm tired. Our weather is normally far more moderate. The "bad" winters have a couple weeks of 20-30, snow every few years and then normally only a couple inches. We average mid 30-40 winter days, some freeze temp nights, except of some short hits of worse. The area is usually nice. This week is NOT.

Several main water line breaks in the surrounding cities. Old pipes, too cold.

Hoping we ALL get warm soon. Those temps in Canada are scary!!

Scary - you bet. I too, want to quit setting records!

I'm very glad that we didn't have to set up the fireplace last nite. It's supposed to be around 50* Sunday?? GREAT - I'm ready for it!

So - took the truck in for the new tires. First I was surprised on our road! I haven't been out since Monday - no reason since my job closed down for 3 days. There were areas on our dirt road that were solid sheets of ice - I have no idea how my hubby's car has made it back and forth (he did state that it's been a little "hairy" a couple of times). Dropped truck, made it home for the new vet to visit with me and do 3 floats and a coggins. Broke ice on buckets and tanks, hauled water and got into house for lunch. Larry made it back from a run to pharmacy - I'd just finished a sandwich and he asked if I wanted some soup before we headed back out. It was a NICE lunch - shared (not a common occurrence in 26 yrs of marriage on opposite shift/work schedules). Then the shop called - said truck was ready. We went back into town to get it - and they said there was a problem with the ball joints and the pittman arm/tie rods (pittman arm/tie rods we knew about). Let's just say the price isn't in the budget now... Hmm - know we had that worked on in 2013 - to the tune of a lot of money (1500)... They shook their heads and say - NO, that's not been replaced recently - and if so, we needed to take it back and talk with them. Well, I've had major work done on the truck by two different shops - but receipts hadn't been staying in the truck and were all packed (some were in truck - not the one I know we'd had done)...

So I left a message for the one shop and the other - # disconnected. After picking up needles/syringes for the vaccines that arrived & dropping off 5 for a friend, I went by the other shop (not sure how I'd gotten thru to them in past - I had the number wrong in my phone). They quite nicely printed off the invoices for work done - and yep - all 4 ball joints had been replaced and I had the $ about right (it included some other work) - had the date wrong as it was done in 2012. So 2 1/2 yrs... The young man dealing with me/invoices said it is a bit unusual for them to need to be replaced already - but depended on the "use of the truck". Well - it's seen some mileage! It's a road truck - to work, to town & out of state runs - and it's a work truck - hay, feed, trailer w/ household goods, trailers w/ ponies and equipment - hauling water when water lines in pasture are frozen. BUT it certainly hasn't seen any "real" 4 wheeling... He said to bring it in tomorrow to be looked at - between 7 and noon - no appointment (and I will have to leave it again... or sit and wait for a while).

UGHHHH!

We are having a moderate winter for us, so not too horrible at the moment, but calving is coming, so it'll probably turn ugly then. today, we finished adding more insulation to our "attic" space (barely a crawl space, since this is an older double wide), added quite a bit of new blow in insulation. Waiting for the weather to turn, so we can see just how much it helps.

I am whipped. Our manure spreader has frozen solid several days this week. Chopping frozen poo slop with hatchets and pick ax and running hot water on it is getting old. Totally exhausted of the 18+ hour days working in the bitter cold.

My friend suggested using chap stick on my finger splits. It is helping a bunch. Stuck my hand on the gate this morning, should not have tested the water temp before grabbing the gate. I warm my goat water, but the horses prefer their water cooler and I forgot which bucket was which.... My barn cats are smart.. as soon as the calves lay down in the straw, the cats move in and lay on the calves. Sharing warmth and all are happy.

Dreaming of sleep and warmer weather. sigh.

I highly recommend a heated mattress pad. Saves me at night. My pup has already caught on. I say, "ready for bed?" and he gallops upstairs and launches in the bed... lays down and doesn't move a hair all night. too cute.

stay warm folks... more snow today. UGH.

Extreme cold warning in effect here; windchill is 21 below, actual temp around 4 below...but it doesn't feel that cold. I've been out doing chores with just a sweatshirt, no coat on, and I am not cold.

It would bug me no end to have things, like water lines, freezing up at temperatures milder than 20 below (which is where it needs to be before we have trouble with our water in this drafty trailer house).

I took hot water out last night at about 8 pm--temp last night was about 23 below--and at 10 this morning the 100 gal tank was not froze over hard--the horses were able to push on the ice, break it, and drink. Sure beats using the smaller water tubs I used other winters --they always freeze too hard.

The different areas have cold & wind that "varies" as to the feel of the intensity -- although it's all cold!!! The moisture in the air and the persons acclimation seem to help with tolerating it. Some of you think 5 degree is balmy, LOL. I remember being in FLA and when it got to 40 the "natives" felt it as 40 below.

For me, one of the hardest issues -- once I have persuaded myself that I COULD and MUST tolerate and get chores done -- is the actual length of time it takes to accomplish it all. Seems you just get through round one and it's time to do it all again. Just consumes your entire day, if you have several animals to handle (don't we all?).

I swear, when I went to milk my goat 2 nights ago that it was frozen up -- she was not enjoying the procedure and is normally a great gal to milk, easy let down, etc. But, she really wasn't wanting to do it....me either. That milk was chilled in the jar by the time I left the barn! LOL I hugged and thanked her as usual but, added an apology, too. Next day several degrees warmer and a more "usual" milking.

The end result -- they didn't ask to be mine and I owe them their care. I CANNOT WAIT FOR SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For split skin on fingers the best thing I've tried is Neosporin then cover with a bandaid at night. By morning, fingers will be much better.

A new storm blew in this morning. So far just strong winds but snow is on the way. Chickens are blown around when they venture out. The wind makes the horses really frisky!

Wood on the porch, handy for the stove. Reviewing my weather diary for the past 11 years, Palm Sunday is the last day we've used the wood stove. Winter isn't over yet.

Warmer temps here today and lots of melting snow.Very difficult getting to the barn this AM since stuff on bottom is still frozen and very icy.My bad knee was getting better after pool therapy ,now after dealing with this weather I feel like I am back to beginning.Snow on top is very wet and mushy.warm temps today and then part of Monday but very cold again Mon night so this stuff will freeze again.May not be able to get barn door open Tues morning since water lays under the spot where door slides.Hurry up spring.

Well we our getting our first winter weather tonight and tomorrow. We have already had two trucks stuck in mud tonight in the rain. That was fun. Lol. We have already closed schools down for tomorrow. Lol. We don't play here in Louisiana! They say ice and snow and we start shutting everything down! Then everyone rides around checking it all out the next day! Well not everyone, but we are part of the ones who do! I hope everyone stays safe and warm.

Soooooo......I'd PLANNED on taking pictures of these little beauties to cheer everyone up with today. We were forecasted a dusting of snow.....

IMG_20150224_121148_649.jpg

IMG_20150224_121155_876.jpg

I guess the forecaster was from Boston and considered this a dusting--compared to 8 FEET!!

Sigh! Seems never ending- doesn't it??? No matter what part of the country or countries, we all seem to be struggling in some way or the other. So so tired of these -temps and wind chills. Not going to check accuweather any more. They can't get it right either. Or else they are trying to humor me- and then dump the (pardon) crap on me. NEXT week will be some warmer-RIGHT-let's do minus temps again. Oh-by the way - we are going to dump 4-8" of snow on you again this weekend.
default_thud.gif
They way it's going right now we won't be getting the horse trailer out of the garage come mid April when we first need it. There's a big pile/strip of snow (ie. ice underneath) across from the garage along the drive. Can't back a truck up and hitch and pull out a trailer in that small a space. Praying the March lion (in a few days) goes out the meekest lamb-lots of sun and warmer temps
default_pray.gif
(I'll even take some rain-as long as it doesn't FREEZE after!). Oh gosh-I'm blue (with cold and in spirit).
default_crybaby.gif

Night before last we had about an inch of snow, on top of some extremely wet ground from thawing of previous 4" of snow. That little bit melted yesterday (woohoo refill all the water tubs--get more hay in) and last night we got another 7" -- still snowing a little. This is looking like it will blow out (NE winds 20mph) in about 3-4 hrs. For those of us in the "southern" states, even this amount is extreme as the areas are not equipped as the northern areas who have this all winter.

Gotta say that VDOT and the all the cities have been doing a really good job of keeping the roads as well as they can. But only primary and main secondaries are being addressed as they just don't have equipment/manpower for residential areas. We have many smaller bridges/overpasses that need constant attention. Schools were out all but one day last week and this week is a repeat. Most of the various city offices, courts, etc. were closed a couple of days. Might as well be as customers sure aren't on the roads for such things. Of course, phone calls are stopped but, most things can wait a couple days without issue -- really, it can.

Still, two weeks of snow is soooooo much more tolerable than two or more months!

JUST NEEDED TO VENT....LOL. I had a minor frozen water line issue last week. Thaw, and heavier re-wrap has been enough to keep more of those problems at bay, so far. Hope everyone else has been so fortunate!

More snow here 1-4 inches expected.Still snowing as of 11 AM and we already have several inches and it is coming down sideways.Just got in from doing all critters.In until about 5 PM for feeding.Only 1 old gelding in all day and 1 older mare at night.Other 3 are in to eat then back out with lots of hay,heated water and nice big sheltered run in sheds and in to feed grain AM&PM.Still have heat and water and plenty of food so things are good.Just need to get rid of this bad cold so I can get to back therapy.Decided not to go on Fri and infect anybody.Lots of OJ and Thera Flu.

The problem here is simple - it's the back and forth and the up and down! Bad, BAd and more BAD!

I can deal with cold - if it stayed cold. NOT when it's 70* one day, then 13*, then back up to 65*. I dressed for cold the other day - simply because I was expecting it and it DID start out that way. Wasn't long and the layers had to come off - but the way they were layered - didn't work so well. And didn't stay warm nearly long enough... I have to say - very tired of my hands being so cold all the time (even at work!), but I'm not dealing w/ bad cracks or hangnails this year. I feel for you that are!

4 to 8 inches of snow predicted for tonight. UGH. On top of the ice storm we just had. My gates are all frozen shut. My son climbs over to get the feed and water to my critters. My dogs can hardly stand up on the ice to take a poop and now this snow storm is predicted. Already had school closed one day this week and 2 days with delayed start and now I am sure tomorrow will be closed with this forecast. Going to be a tough day today preparing the cow feed in advance and backing the feed mixer around on all this ice with rain on top of it. getting uber tired of the cold. I can't imagine living up north... this is about all I can stand.

More snow predicted here for Th&Fri and really cold temps again.Not ready for this again.Got diagnosed on Tuesday with bronchitis and pneumonia-told to rest and take it easy.YEAH RIGHT!!Tell that to the animals.tole doc I would do the best I could.Left all4 outside last night except 1 old guy.Less stall cleaning.Hope it is not extreme cold-all 4 outside horses have great shelter and heated buckets and hay racks.I've got to get better ASAP.Hurry up spring

More snow predicted here for Th&Fri and really cold temps again.Not ready for this again.Got diagnosed on Tuesday with bronchitis and pneumonia-told to rest and take it easy.YEAH RIGHT!!Tell that to the animals.tole doc I would do the best I could.Left all4 outside last night except 1 old guy.Less stall cleaning.Hope it is not extreme cold-all 4 outside horses have great shelter and heated buckets and hay racks.I've got to get better ASAP.Hurry up spring
O my goodness that is terrible that you are ill. Hope you get on the correct medicine to recover quickly.

Sleet and ice just moved in here this morning. Wind is howling and wind chill is -8. I think it is supposed to be over by tomorrow. Still haven't got my onions planted! Hasn't been a pretty day for me to play in the garden in quite a while. Ranger's driving lessons are at a stand still just now. The daffodil spikes are paralyzed at 3" tall.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Bevann
default_smile.png

Sounds like everyones winter with the temps going up and down then to freezing has been a lot like the summer here. Its usually out of control "hot" but we really didn't get a summer at all this year. There were several days that felt like winter here during our hottest month.

I have come to accept that summer is almost over here now , and seeing what you have all been thru with the snow and freezing temps , Im sending you all what ever summer sunshine is left here.

hoping spring is upon you all soon
default_smile.png

Bevann, sure hope you are feeling better soon.

Wish we could just fast forward into complaints about the heat! Really, I can sweat better than shiver.........if we just get enough rain to keep the pastures from totally drying up, I'm good!!

We had 73 temps yesterday, barely 37 today and some kind of winter crap tonight. It has rained all day and we may get sleet or snow, just a little but then the freeze and so on and on and ON.......water tubs all full, the pastures are a mess with so much water on them, everyone fed and I'm gonna have a nice drink of the adult variety!! I'm tired of winter.

Latest posts

Back