Bit question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used a mouthing bit with players on their minis when starting them? I found someone that can custom make one to fit Shake, but I can't figure out how much to downsize the keys (players) for a mini.

Nope, I want the horse to learn to hold the bit, not play with it. I generally start most of mine in a mullen snaffle sized to them after I have measured their mouth. I have a tool called a Bit Fit that also measures their cheeks a little as well. The mullen doesn't have any moving parts that they will play with instead of listening to me.

Myrna

Isn't it funny how different people have different ways of doing things with the same goal in mind? I like my horse to start in a mouthing snaffle, if possible. In my opinion, the horses learn to carry the bit without slipping the tongue over with a mouthing snaffle. After learning to carry the bit with the mouthing snaffle, I will move him into the French Link. I've not had many occasions where I've chosen a mullen mouth snaffle over a french link, but that's just my take on things.

The 5" mouthing snaffle that I have, I wish I could just shrink ray it to a 4". lol It's a straight bar, loose ring with the keys in the middle. Obviously, I can't use a bit with a 1" size issue, but I'm sure trying to get one in a 4" without breaking the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbo will be my first experience with bitting a colt from scratch but I have to admit I've developed no fondness for a mullen mouth in my experience with it in older horses. Kody steered like a tank in one and my Arab was no fonder of it. That bit seems to work best for solidly built, linearly-thinking horses who benefit from having a solid bit they can take ahold of and trust in. These are the same horses who do well in a leverage bit, which of course is often paired with a solid mouthpiece for very good reason.
default_yes.gif

For one with a more agile, playful mentality, the mullen can seem to lack finesse in communication and annoys them because there's no give in it. Kody was equally unhappy with a regular jointed snaffle as it poked his palate so for him the solution was a Myler mullen mouth, which has give in the middle with independent side action but turns into a solid bit when pressure is applied on both reins. That way he got both the steadiness and the movement he liked and settled right down. He's also going well in the French Link I bought to start Turbo in but to my surprise the butterfly cheekpieces actually make this bit a size too small for him so I don't use it often as the lower shanks pinch his chin. Too bad, as it's a nice bit.

I want my colt started out in a bit that is soft and comfortable for him, interfering as little as possible with the normal functions of his mouth, and that means I, personally,
default_wink.png
would avoid both a mullen mouth and a bit with keys. The keys are too distracting but I think the mullen is too firm, too overwhelming for a young horse to truly accept. They don't play with it, sure, but they don't like it either. I'm going to start with the French Link and see how the horse does, moving up from there depending on his preferences. Every horse is different as we all know!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I start all my horses in an eggbutt snaffle. I don't like them playing with the bit, so I put them in the eggbutt snaffle and I don't start them with any sort of pressure until their mouth grows quiet (no chewing or fussing with the bit). I would think that rollers or keys would encourage "playing" which might be fine for a horse that doesn't take well to tack, to make it more pleasant... but my horses have always been playful, outgoing types. My stallion, well he likes to chew on his bits and although the only bit he's been happy with is his copper french link, he does try his hardest to get to the little link and chew on it. Being copper, I will have to keep a close eye on it for wear, as he is pretty successful in destroying any toy (and he thinks the bit is a toy) in his path
default_smile.png

Just my own preference... and the only "softer" bits I've started horses in are rubber bits and I'm not impressed with those, either.

Andrea

I use a mullen mouth because I start with "simple" and move to "more complex" if needed. I usually know within the first couple of lessons whether or not that is going to work, and then will move to a French Link or something else. I rarely use a single jointed snaffle anymore.

At both the Larry Poulin clinic and the Suzy Stafford clinic, they gave the impression that a lot of drivers (at least in the Midwest) over bit their horses, and then don't use enough rein contact. Both clinicians changed out a lot of bits, mostly jointed ones to bar bits, either arched or ported. Larry really likes the Glory bits. Suzy brought her stash of favorite bits, and not a one was jointed. One gelding that Larry worked with was like a different horse when he was finished dumping the common single jointed snaffle for a Glory bit.

We normally use a sloted Uxeter (low port) Kimberwicke on Spider (our big horse) in the lower setting, but Suzy said that was too much for him. However, when I said that he gets pretty ambitious at the pleasure shows, she said that we might have to use the lower slot when he has "competition" in the ring, but the upper slot for dressage when he is in the ring by himself. She was very happy with his performance with the rein in the upper setting.

The key is to keep the options open and not be afraid to try what works, with a bit of "educated guess" thrown in. What was really cool was to hear Larry say over and over, "Watch, this horse will do X," and by golly they would!

Myrna

I received a PM question about what a mouthing snaffle is, so I wanted to just note here that the mouthing snaffle is not a bit that I use reins on. It is merely for the first few times in the bit. The keys prevent the horse from leaning the habit of slipping his tongue over the bit. Once the horse is just carrying this bit and carrying it correctly, then you move on to the starter snaffle of your choice, be it a mullen mouth snaffle, like Rhinestone likes or the french link that I prefer. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the bit discussion on this thread. It is interesting to see the different ways people choose to bit their horses in the beginning stages of training.

Latest posts

Back