Birdcatcher Spots? (This many?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I can't even remember for sure what they are called, but am thinking birdcatcher spots?? I have had a couple of red based foals show a couple of these on them in the past, but nothing like this! This filly looks almost appy with all of them! Plus then she has a couple white spots thrown in for good measure!
default_wink.png

She is not appy, as neither parent is appy, nor shows characteristics, and I don;t think there are appy bloodlines behind her either?? So I guess what I am asking, is are these just birdcatcher spots or something else?? Sorry the pics are so large, but wanted to keep them that way to better see the spots.

spots.jpg

spots2.jpg

spots3.jpg

I really don't know the answer to the question, but I love that last picture of her
love0034.gif

I don't know for sure....I have read of a term "Bend'Or spots" where darker color spots appear on a red base coat. I am wondering about this too because my chestnut pinto filly as a 2-year old, has one cluster of dark hair about 3" diameter with an irregular shape, not really smooth. Thought it was a stain but it won't wash off! :DOH!

Yes, Bird catchers spots are white and bend o spots are dark. Very pretty girl.
default_wink.png

Beautiful filly!

Yes I agree, Bend O Spots, Birdcatchers spots are white and I have two mares with them, so was really curious to see what this thread was about. Both have the same dam, different sire. Dam had no birdcatcher spots but had marbeling on her back, I guess you call it.

Bend spots can appear to be black/sooty or darker red on a red based horse. My red filly has darker red splotches all over her coat.

There is a palomino stallion owned by Hear About Minis that has dark bend spots all over his rump.

Carolyn

Ben D'Or...they can have loads and loads or just one, no rhyme or reason to it.

Agree that is a pretty filly, BTW!!

WOW, thanks for the input. I didn't even realize the white ones had a name! I was referring to the black skin spots. I knew there were Bend' Or spots but I didn't realize they were different from the Birdcatcher. I thought just 2 different names for the same thing! Thanks!

One more thing...has anyone noticed if this is associated more often with the dun coloration? In the ones I have had in the past, and this filly too, were all dun.

Last edited by a moderator:
IME it is associated with Red base, well, it would have a hard time showing up on Black!!
default_wink.png

But, no, I have not noticed it on any of my Duns, only the Chestnuts...I am sure, though , it is not colour specific.

I've not noticed it on any of my duns, but that's not enough to say it's not more common in duns
default_smile.png

My little chestnut/sorrel...whichever term you prefer has one of these. Just one right on his flank..I love it.

The most heavily bend or spotted horses I've ever seen have all been palominos.
default_biggrin.png
D&MJ Miniatures in Nebraska has a palomino stallion who is COVERED in them and has a few birdcatcher spots to boot.

Yup, Ben D'or spots they're called. Teddy has a big one on his bum. Pretty girl BTW, Mona!

Is this something foals will grow out of as they shed from year to year or are they forever spots?

As far as I have seen, it is the pigment on the skin and it will stay with them for life. It's not the hair that is colored, it's the skin itself, so shedding year after year will not make a difference.

Nice filly Mona!
default_smile.png

My stallion (red) has both kinds all over him. His dark ones are all over and so much, it looks like a mechanic wiped his dirty hands all over him! He was born with them and at 14, still has them. One of his daughters (red) has the black spot but with white all around it. Pretty cool!

Latest posts

Back