Bird ID?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainSong

Reaction score
And boy was it a big one. We're guessing it's some sort of Jay. Had a very loud sort of rough call- that's why I went and looked. It almost sounded like it was going "Beep beep beep".

It had the ruffed head (that pointy triangular shape?) that cardinals have, except... it was black from the shoulders up, and a lovely dark blue from there down. Anyone have any ideas?

I tried to get a pic, but it flew away when I opened the sliding glass door. I'll have to clean the glass so I can maybe get a shot from inside if it comes back.

It's a Stellar's Jay! One of my favourite birds, even if they are a nuisance.

That was it, definately. Beautiful bird, I'd never seen one before at all!

Charissa, we are flooded with Stellar jays...they make different noises depending on what they are up to.

Some of them squawk, but others "scree" like a hawk to try and scare the other birds away from the food.

They really are beautiful.

One time in June, when the scotch broom blooms (it is a vibrant, deep yellow fountain of color a weed, really, but amazingly bright yellow), I saw one perched dead in the center of a full-bloom bunch of Scotch broom, and the bright blue displayed against the bright yellow was just heart-stopping. I was driving and didn't have my camera handy, or I would have had a great picture.
default_smile.png

Right now, we are inundated with Hummingbirds, but there are so many great birds around here. I've always enjoyed birds both "domestic" and wild. We even have a "pet" Raven.

Glad you figured out what your bird is! I am so envious, my Dad gets Cardinals back in PA, but I had never seen one til I went back there. A jay and a cardinal together would be cool!

Enjoy your bird watching!

Liz

Charissa, we are flooded with Stellar jays...they make different noises depending on what they are up to.

Some of them squawk, but others "scree" like a hawk to try and scare the other birds away from the food.

They really are beautiful.

One time in June, when the scotch broom blooms (it is a vibrant, deep yellow fountain of color a weed, really, but amazingly bright yellow), I saw one perched dead in the center of a full-bloom bunch of Scotch broom, and the bright blue displayed against the bright yellow was just heart-stopping. I was driving and didn't have my camera handy, or I would have had a great picture.
default_smile.png

Right now, we are inundated with Hummingbirds, but there are so many great birds around here. I've always enjoyed birds both "domestic" and wild. We even have a "pet" Raven.

Glad you figured out what your bird is! I am so envious, my Dad gets Cardinals back in PA, but I had never seen one til I went back there. A jay and a cardinal together would be cool!

Enjoy your bird watching!

Liz
Oh wow, yes, Cardinals are gorgeous aren't they? I saw a scant few when I lived in OH- mostly the one year I had the bird feeder out over the winter. It's one of those soda-bottle cap ones- it's got a feeder dish and you fill a soda bottle with seed then flip it and hang it. Mostly saw the smaller birds- chickadees, finches, wrens, etc - but once in awhile a male cardinal would stop by. I loved seeing them.

I've had this feeder out since late summer last year, and it's sadly, still full of the same seed it started out with. I need to get it and change the seed out, but it's not being used really. I think the Aussie plus the other dog and the cats are keeping the birds away. It has emptied by about 1/4 since I moved it, but it's not even a BIG soda bottle
default_sad.png
In OH I almost had to fill the same size bottle twice a day!

We've got tons of Scotch Broom growing in the field behind out house. It's mixed with another woody bush I don't know the name of, and many trees. Natural cover! We get all sorts of stuff out there. Used to have deer that wandered through (and ate the apples off the apple trees), raccoons, even a skunk once according to my step-dad. They've developed more though, so less widllife. The Scotch Broom is such a weed- non native invasive species- but I adore the color
default_wacko.png

We had Emerald swallows last year, trying to nest in the house eves. Those are gorgeous birds, 100% native, and declining. I told my mother we should put nesting boxes up there- both to help the birds, and to keep them from tearing apart the mesh covering on the vent holes.

I'd love to see more birds. My mother has a Hummingbird feeder, but hasn't put it out since we've come back. Anyone have a recipe for nectar? I remember it doesn't need all the dye the store-brands have...

My hummer food recipe (they are drinking a half-gallon of it a day right now) is:

four parts water to one part sugar.

I do not boil mine as it doesn't sit that long, and it seems to work just fine.

I hung it up about a month ago, and the hummingbirds have been here since before then. Now they come by the dozen.

L.

Oh Liz -- You are so lucky to have Hummingbirds ALREADY!!! And so many!

You've just got to share some pictures so the rest of us Hummer Lovers can enjoy them vicariously!
default_biggrin.png

We only get a couple (maybe) and not til later in the summer......

Latest posts

Back