Biodiesel?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a 2004 Super Duty and have been wondering about Bio Diesel. We have looked up some information, but would like to hear some perspectives from those who have been using it.

What do you pay for it per gallon?

What ratio do you run?

Any mechanical issues that you are aware of?

What is your mileage w/the Bio Diesel?

Did you do any modification to your vehicle?

How long have you been using it?

Thanks in advance!

Likely it isn't going to be an option for us as the nearest distributor is 100 miles away.

Liz M.

Thanks, Charmed.

We have seen those sites, but were wondering about real people's experiences, not just manufacturer's suggestions and recommendations, etc. We have come to the conclusion that we can burn a 5% Biodiesel mix in our truck w/out voiding the warranty, but there is the fact that up to 20% should be safe w/out changing certain components.

I was curious about how it works out in "real life" and we are still waiting for the closest distributor to get back to us w/a price per gallon.

Still interested in answers to the above questions....

Liz M.

We use biodiesel! I love it. Our jetta gets 42 mpg with it, no problems at all and no modifications to it. The station we get it from is 10%.

I also run my ford excursion on it. This truck has an intercooler, 4 inch exhaust all the way,and 75hp chip and a 6 inch lift with 36" tires. It is gettting 18 mpg city, and no problems, same 10%.

Actually, I think they both run better! No problems hauling. Only thing is the first time you run it it cleans everything so we changed the gas filter before the first fill. It does burn cleaner.

Thanks, bcody...do you mind me asking what you have to pay per gallon for biodiesel, or the mix that you use?

Liz

Liz,

I just got back from filling up the truck, we also got a container to run the tractor on it, it was 2.79 a gallon for 10%biodiesel and 90%diesel. I would love for this guy to go to a higher%, but he can not keep enough bio in, sells out fast so he only cuts 10%.

Thanks again, bcody!

What is the price for regular diesel then, in your area?

We are paying $3.09 and while we would like to do something for the environment/possibly save some money, we would have to drive 100 miles at this point.

MAYBE we could get one of our local suppliers to carry it, though....

We did read that anything about 20% and it stands a good chance that the biodiesel will act as a solvent on certain engine parts like the seals, etc., so those would need to be changed before running anything higher.

I really appreciate all the input on this subject.

Liz M.

Thanks for the link, shminifancier.

It appears that we need to push the manufacturers as well as big corporations to use this product more readily.

I know I would be trying it out if we had a distributor close to home. When we happen closer to where we can buy it, we just may fill up on it. I am hoping it is less expensive than regular diesel.

We did read, however, on many sites, that using more than 20% mixture or B20, is not recommended without some modifications or replacement of parts as the Biodiesel will break down certain compounds. It's also pretty volatile to painted surfaces, so if you spill some on your vehicle, make sure to clean it off.

I am happy to see at least one alternative fuel source that seems viable at this point. It isn't a total replacement, YET, but it's a step in the right direction, where we should have been headed more than 30 years ago when this similar situation w/fuel happened previously.

Liz M.

Yes it is a start..

And in my area there is a few stations selling 85% Ethanol~!!!

E-85 is an 85-percent blend of Ethanol Fuel. Burning E-85 produces fewer harmful emissions than straight gasoline, and best of all, it costs about 35 to 50 cents less per gallon. BUT Only a few gasoline engines can burn this Percentage~!! But it is a Start~!! And this is made from CORN BUT My car I can only use up to 10% Ethanol BUT I do use it at that mixture...... And Bio diesel is fine if you have a diesel engine but not that many people do except for truck drivers and some people with diesel rigs to haul horses...

nootka said:
Thanks for the link, shminifancier.It appears that we need to push the manufacturers as well as big corporations to use this product more readily.

I know I would be trying it out if we had a distributor close to home.  When we happen closer to where we can buy it, we just may fill up on it.  I am hoping it is less expensive than regular diesel. 

We did read, however, on many sites, that using more than 20% mixture or B20, is not recommended without some modifications or replacement of parts as the Biodiesel will break down certain compounds.  It's also pretty volatile to painted surfaces, so if you spill some on your vehicle, make sure to clean it off.

I am happy to see at least one alternative fuel source that seems viable at this point.  It isn't a total replacement, YET, but it's a step in the right direction, where we should have been headed more than 30 years ago when this similar situation w/fuel happened previously.

Liz M.

462311[/snapback]

The price is about 20 cents cheaper per gallon on the average, it has only gone up 30 cents a gallon since the hurricane.

Latest posts

Back