Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Reaction score
Que sera!
Well, the mesquite beans are falling now so weight could get interesting.
I'm stuffing hay bag, cleaning manure, and wondering "who owns who here?" I've about decided to just let "what will be, will be".
So much cooler for him to hang out under a shady tree than standing in his hot shelter. But the shady trees are loaded with tasty mesquite beans...

Reaction score
For those of you who do not live in mesquite country, i thought you might like to see some. We have a lot of mesquite trees. Every spring we go around the whole property and spray the new ones, trying to keep them under control. They are a valuable food source for wildlife. Some people make the beans into flour. There are billions of them.

Attachments

• mesquite beans.jpg
    mesquite beans.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen that. Those are long:oops:
I'm surprised you don't have mesquites there. Over the last 100 years they have slowly but surely moved up from Mexico. Oklahoma is about as far north as I've seen them.
I patrolled our little enclosed pasture this morning and none of the mesquites have beans, so Billy will be restricted to that area for a while.

MaryFlora

Staff member
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
That is such an interesting photo! Thank you! I’ve never seen a mesquite tree and it sure is fascinating!

I’m assuming mesquite flour is used like any other flour? It is always interesting to learn about the ways different areas use their natural resources.

Reaction score
I've managed to keep him away from most of the trees. I'm still seeing a few seeds in his manure, but I can live with a few. Pepper likes them also and finds a shady spot to lay and crunch them.
He had a bath this morning and a nice walk. Too hot to think of doing anything in the afternoon.

Latest posts