big horse/little horse/same feet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexb.

Reaction score
I have the book, understanding equine hoof care, by heather Smith Thomas. It is targeted for full size horses.

Are miniatures hooves the same, as well as care and trimming/etc. If not then what should I get specifically. I did order a rental video from pat Grady on hoof care but not sure when it will get here. Should I read the above mentioned book or is it not applicable.

My miniatures are on the same trimming schedule as my larger horses. Depending on the hoof growth will determine how long between trims. Your farrier should make sure the angles and length are good for your mini conformation

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Yes, the hoof is the same whether on a saddle horse, big draft or mini. The trim will depend on the horse's conformation and growth pattern. The techniques will be the same for the most part, timing of trims will depend on what the individual needs just as with any other horse.

Yes, it is the same BUT minis don't wear their feet as quickly in most cases and the hoof tends to grow more upright due to their light weight. The reverse is generally true for draft horses. However that's an individual basis and most basics are the same no matter what size horse you're looking at.

Basic anatomy between minis and full size horses is the same. It is the workload, environmental and lifestyle differences between the two that slightly change the care taken of the hooves. All of the research you can do is beneficial. Consult a professional farrier with mini horse experience to help you care for your mini's hooves. But to answer your ? Yes you can learn a lot from the book that will apply to minis as well.

Yes, it is the same BUT minis don't wear their feet as quickly in most cases and the hoof tends to grow more upright due to their light weight. The reverse is generally true for draft horses. However that's an individual basis and most basics are the same no matter what size horse you're looking at.

Thanks every one. I will read the book then to learn the anatomy, which is my goal right now.

I have 2 farrier friends/students for blacksmithing classes I teach, and sure they would trade knowledge for knowledge.

Alex

Latest posts

Back