Big Brown won the Preakness Stakes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Well Big Brown was the favourite at 1-5 odds. He won by around 5 lengths, maybe 6. Not sure. He left them in his dust so to speak. If he does race like he did at the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes at the Belmont Stakes I think we may have our next triple crown winner.
default_yes.gif

Im almost positive this is our next Triple Crowner!
default_wink.png

Wow he is just so spectacular.. Gives me tingles watching him power past them by so much at the back stretch
default_smile.png

He is doing amazing. I was disappointed to hear that his trainer gives steroids to all his horses once a month. He said a vet suggested it and he doesn't even know what if anything it does.
default_rolleyes.gif

He is a amazing horse. Seeing him loping along and still with the leaders until he came into the last turn then turned it on with out his rider using his whip was awesome. Unless some thing happens he will win it all.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

The Belmont is a long race, and anything can happen even to a superhorse - but no question he is a powerhouse! I'd love to see a Triple Crown horse again. It is exciting to watch one win so effortlessly, even with all my reservations about the racing industry it's just plain fun to see LOL.

Jan

I agree with Jan; no question it is exciting to think of, and yes, to watch, a horse 'run away from' the field as Big Brown did yesterday. I'd had the satellite on, switched to network just as they were parading to the post...debated about even watching, but did. It WAS amazing; the jockey actually just let him COAST to the finish after looking back(by standing up and looking between his legs!), and seeing that no horse was even CLOSE. He didn't even HAVE his whip, actually; I saw a whip handed to him by another person on horseback just after he pulled his mount up, even as the outrider got there to take him back for the victory presentation--I have to wonder if that might even have been 'on purpose', to show that the horse would run without the whip(after the PETA criticism of the Eight Belles' jockey using the whip on her in the homestretch, just before her breakdown-unwarranted, I believe, because I cannot IMAGINE that ANY horse would be ABLE to continue to run if something had ALREADY BROKEN for any span of time before she fell...)

They(trainer, jockey) KNOW their horse, and I suspect, KNEW he would give it his all without the whip...JMO.

I would LOVE to see another Triple Crown winner, but only if the horse can do it and pull up SAFE and SOUND! If he does it, he will be MUCH in demand as a sire....but consider, the last one to do it-the gorgeous stallion Secretariat, was pretty much of a 'dud' in that respect. The real 'proof of the pudding' is ultimately always in the quality and abilities of the offspring!

Margo

The last horse to win a Triple Crown was Affirmed ridden by Steve Cauthen in 1978. The year before (1977), Seattle Slew won. Secretariat won in 1973 with Ron Turcotte aboard.

He is doing amazing. I was disappointed to hear that his trainer gives steroids to all his horses once a month. He said a vet suggested it and he doesn't even know what if anything it does.
default_rolleyes.gif

they also said they might make it illegal and the trainer stated basically that it wouldn't be a big deal as he figures Big Brown will still be as strong and fast without the once a month injection. I forget what it was called something wind, and didn't realize it was a steroid.

The drug is Winstrol. I have done a little reading on it now and it can be used to help increase appetite, weight gain, bone density, muscle mass, strength, and red blood cell production. It helps them recover from injuries more quickly. So, I suppose it could be looked at as a preventative measure and a safety precaution to give it. I still would love it if they stopped using it though.

Latest posts

Back