Bicycle Thieves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
We think the bike was stolen on Saturday. It's a mountain bike, smallish frame with two diagonal bars (some people would call it a "girl's bike.") Supposedly it was bought for me, but my daughter is the only family member that never rides it, so who's is it? Anyway, the last time it was seen was Friday, when my son put it in the workshop, but it wasn't missed until Sunday, when my husband wanted to ride it. We have a large yard, it took some searching before we decided that it really was missing.

Monday, I began sorta spreading the word among the neighborhood kids about the bike. We've had it about ten years, it was bought at a yard sale from someone who'd had it knocking around in their garage for years. It's not in the best of shape, so has little value (beyond its usefulness.) I figured it would get dumped in a ditch somewhere when the thief got tired of it.

Monday evening, I saw 4 teenagers ride bikes through our yard. We tolerate that, even encourage it, believing that people who think themselves welcome are more likely to behave themselves than those who are knowingly trespassing. I did wonder if any of them were riding my bike, but I thought I might know a couple of them, and only saw them for a couple of seconds before they were out of sight.

A few minutes later, the kids ride back the other way, only this time, there are 4 kids, and 5 bikes. They were in a big hurry, too. When my husband got home, I told him what I had seen. He had some things to do in the yard, while he was there, a couple of these kids cut through the yard again. It was almost fully dark by this time, but he talked with them briefly, got their names. They assured him that they knew me (which they did) and we let things rest with that.

Tuesday evening, as Hubby is driving home, he sees a Sheriff's deputy in the driveway of a house down the street with his little notebook in hand. Knowing that those people have children, he put two and two together and said "You're here about a stolen bike report, aren't you?" The deputy followed him home, and we both told him what we knew. Turns out, he had our bike in the back of his patrol car! Evidently, they had dumped it in these folks' yard when they took the other two bikes.

So we have our bike back, rather the worse for wear, but I am still furious! I have known these kids for years! As they say, it's nice to know who your friends are!
default_frusty.gif
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Kids now have no respect, or common sense it seems. What ever happened to a good butt whoppin or grounding? A friend had his dirt bike stolen by his neighbors kid. Caught him , let Sheriffs know. Parents now mad at friend for getting their kid in trouble. Huh???

Glad you got your bike back at least.

When I was 8yo, my Huffy Flower Power bicycle was stollen out of our yard. I STILL remember it!!!
aggressive.gif

Kids now have no respect, or common sense it seems. What ever happened to a good butt whoppin or grounding? A friend had his dirt bike stolen by his neighbors kid. Caught him , let Sheriffs know. Parents now mad at friend for getting their kid in trouble. Huh???

Glad you got your bike back at least.
Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree, to me!

Glad you got it back! We had a house that backed up to a very bad area with a community center. Our back yard was fenced. It was really high. No way to climb over it. Someone came in our yard and stole my brothers bike..... fast forward..... I was sitting at a ledge that surrounded the community center with my dog. A girl walked up to me and said she was taking my dog. Uh what!?!? No I don't think so. At 14 years old I could hold my own. NO one was taking my dog. Same group of kids cornered one of my younger brothers at a canal down the street and tried to pummel him. Big sis stepped in and took care of that. It's a wonder I'm still here.

That was a bad place to live....

Latest posts

Back