Beyonce the DEFINITELY pregnant pony - SHE'S HERE!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenBey

Reaction score
Hi, guys I had this in the pony section but was told to come over here for more opinions. I got Beyonce about a week ago completely unhandled, she had been running with 1 stallion and a heap of mares for her entire life. They believed her to be about 3 1/2 years old and her teeth suggest that as well. All other mares looked pregnant, were bagging up or were dropping foals. there were also plenty of weanlings and yearlings running around. She's started handling really well but I'm unsure whether she's in foal or just fat. She would be a maiden if she is. Her belly hangs rather low and has a very flat, wide squarish look at the base. I am in the process of gaining her trust to get a better backside picture. Here are all the pictures I have. I have ordered a wee foal checker as i imagine she would be over 110 days if in foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to have you join us and thanks for repeating the pictures here. Things are a bit quiet around her just now as it's not really the 'foaling' season for the US or Europe, but Bree (Wings) down under in Aussieland has just welcomed her first foal of her breeding season - check out those spots!!

This is a forum where most of us have known each other for several years because of foaling out our mares, we chat about family/other animals/everything and anything to help while away the months, weeks and days as we wait for our girls to produce their precious bundles. Any questions or worries that you have, please ask/share them and we will do our best answer/help you - no 'problem' is too small or too 'silly'! So sit back and join in, read through some of the threads plus the pinned threads at the start of the forum - lots of info available there. Oh and it is much easier for us all if you keep to this one thread for all your news or questions about Beyonce and her pregnancy (unlike the other forums where folks post a new thread everytime they have news etc), as it allows us to check back over time to see any previous info you might have posted.

So lets have a little more info about you - other minis/horses, other animals, your interests, how tall is Beyonce, and lastly do you have a name as we cant keep calling you QueenBey! Cheers!!

OK cool My name is Hannah I'm a Vet Nurse and Dog behaviour assessor. I have 3 dogs of my own, 2 rats, a cat and 3 horses, Amber my TBXQH who is 23 and have owned her for 11 years. Penny I recently acquired, she was a broken down STB with bad knee arthritis and headed to the doggers so I gave her a home. I have worked in the horse industry most of my life and at studs but have never dealt with pregnant minis as my forte was Australian Stock Horses mainly. Unsure of Beyonce's height right now but she's probably about 7-8hh.

It appears she may have some edema in front of her udder, which would be just perfect. From the side view, she looks a bit suspicious, so when YOU stand behind her, does she look a bit lop-sided in the belly? Foals usually do not lay perfectly 50/50 poking out the sides, so some lop-sidedness would help and be a good indicator that she may be harboring a little one.

She's a pretty girl, and we're SO GLAD you came here. We do not care whether the horse is a mini, a pony or full sized. We are here to help all of them put these precious little ones on the ground safely.

SO WELCOME!!!!!!

Thanks, her right side is definitely bigger than her left side, it pokes out a good few cms more from what I can see. She's meant to be mini and her grandsire was apprently Australian champ or state champ or something but I believe her mother may have been oversize as she's definitely too big to be a true mini pony but much smaller than normal shetland size, both her parents are reg apparently. Kind of in no man's land on size though I haven't measured her yet so just guessing.

And thanks for the welcome!

That's great news, as her lop-sidedness would be another good sign that there is a baby hiding in there, and that makes all of us Aunties very excited.

We're here to answer any questions you might have....no matter what they are. Better you should ask even what may seem silly, than to have something missed along the way.

We are very excited for you....and US, and happy you chose to join us and let us participate during this exciting time.

~~Diane

So I did the nail test and apparently I'm having a colt, it swung quite furiously and there was no wind and my hand was still!. Let's see if the Wee Foal Test agrees when ti arrives lol.I just wanted to know, is she an ok weight or should I try to get a bit more off? When I first got her last week she was on the verge of foundering but with walking and general running around with all the dogs plus lower calorie feeding she has dropped a bit. She's just on grass and wheaten/rye grass hay atm. I didn't want to get mare and foal feed until I knew she was in foal as it's very expensive and she doesn't need it if she's not in foal. I live in the middle of nowehere and the closest feed store has no pony options at all, I would have to drive 4 hours for pony feed options....

This is her current weight, not a good belly pic as too high. It's amazing how different her belly looks from different angles!

A new butt pic, her butt is huge and I have to go quick but she's getting better. Is it OK? You can see how much her belly bulges out on the right compared to the left.

Until you know whether she is pregnant or not I would hold off on feeding her. By the looks of your photos there is plenty of feed in her paddock.

I learned a very valuable lesson last year after feeding what I thought was a pregnant mare ready to deliver a foal. Long story short, She was very overweight by me feeding her and ended up foundering.

You say she was on the verge of foundering last week ? I had my little mare locked in a box for two months whilst she got better. If she was on the verge of foundering last week, trust me she still is now............... Eliminate everything sweet.

I dont mean to sound like a party pooper I would hate to see your little mare go thru Laminitis then founder like mine did after loosing her pregnancy.

Ryan
default_smile.png

She's much better this week. she wasn't super close to foundering but if left in that paddock she would have like a heap of the others.

New photos, she's got definite movement in the flank area and seems to be waxing up or dripping milk but no real udder development.

Here's a terrible iphone video of her belly movement. Not sure what could cause that apart from something inside? Definitely not related to the fly twitching as I took one on the other side with fly twitching and no movement there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_BIUjAudw&channel=MsArgle

this afternoon she had three really massive rolling sessions and seems to have 'popped out' at the bottom of her belly and the side of the bottom of her belly. I'll be surprised if she's not pregnant tbh. Considering she's lost weight everywhere else and seems to be getting rounder in the belly still.

I'm telling myself it's gas until i get the results of the test lol

Woooo you got a gassy lassy then! Lol she needs some beano, wouldn't want to be the horse next to her stall at night :p

So the test hasn't arrived yet...so much for express post
default_sad.png
but it looks like it won''t be necessary anyway! She's started bagging and has an unusual bulge on her near side after a big roll this morning. Also felt and saw lots of movement during her breakfast this morning. If it's gas it's very active gas lol.

the 'bulge'

the boobs

I just LOVE seeing that lop-sidedness. Sounds like she's shopping, and progressing well. LOVELY!

If she's not pregnant she obviously has an alien inside of her
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back